Search the forum,

Discuss Shower flow pressure query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the flow and temperature on a thermostatic mixer shower. The water set from the combi boiler is hot in the kitchen, the bath hot water tap is quite warm and when I reduce the flow by turning the tap half way the water gets hotter.

My shower has been warm so I decided to reduce the flow to see what happens ( I always have the flow fully turned) and the water became hotter and I still have good enough water pressure. My question is, why does the water get hotter when the water flow is reduced and is it okay to keep on using the shower with half flow water pressure rather than full flow?

Any information would be appreciated thanks.

Shower bar looks similar to this:

Last edited:
No problem with reducing flow rates.
The boiler output and the mains cold water temperature determines the hot water temperature, If you have a 30kw combi and assuming a cold mains temp of 7C then the hot tap will flow 15.4LPM at 35C, 11.3LPM at 45C, 8.1LPM at 60C, the max combi temperature allowed is I think 60C so you can further reduce the flow to at least as low as 3LPM at 60C, the boiler will reduce its output to maintain this temperature.
Your shower is similar, you are throttling the flowrate to achieve the same as above, only difference is that the thermostatic mixer probably only allows a max temp of say 48C, in this case the max shower flow rate will have to be reduced to 10.5 LPM, you can also keep reducing this flow rate right down as the thermostatic mixer will then control the temperature and the boiler will reduce its output.

Reply to Shower flow pressure query in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock