Search the forum,

Discuss Shower drain leaking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, i am looking for some advice please!

My shower drain is leaking. The water is leaking down the outside of the drain. The water that goes into the pipe is fine but most of it is not getting there! I have attached photos for you to see and marked with an arrow where the water is coming through.

Do I just need to put some sealant on this? There no sealant on it currently (that I can see). Is it made in such a way that it shouldn't need it?

If I do need to add sealant do I add it to the top of the drain or the underneath? Or doesn't it matter?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Heather

Attachments

• 20200630_183051.jpg
    20200630_183051.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200630_184038.jpg
    20200630_184038.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 7
The proper way to do it is to remove the waste trap from the shower, top part unscrews and lifts out and the under-tray part will come free too. A bead of silicone sealant on the flanges, top and bottom and reassemble.

With the correct seals installed from the manufacturer you shouldn't have to add sealant but as with so many things, we learn it is often a good idea to do so anyway.

Reply to Shower drain leaking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and wall at the bottom on inside , can’t spot any leakages here. It runs down the wall downstairs beneath shower in lines , when water is sprayed at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
I have a leak from my shower, it's coming down into my kitchen. I've had the sealant, waste pipe and tray all checked. I've also had the shower controls checked. Weird thing is the shower leak only happens when there's weight on the shower tray. The shower tray doesn't flex in any way, which is...
Replies
Views
Hello, would greatly appreciate some pointers Toilet downstairs drains slowly. First floor toilet causes bath to reflux water and make noise. Second floor toilet causes shower to gurgle. Tried Mr Muscle drain unblocker almost everywhere. Tried plunging the toilets, shower and bath. Tried a...
Replies
Views
I'm at the stage of my shower replacement where I have a new shower head to screw into the wall pipes. I tried it, turned on the shower, and find there are light leaks. Obviously I need to fix this so I got some Blue plumbers tape. Trouble is, the pipe doesn't stick out enough to easily wrap the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock