Search the forum,

Discuss Shower digital mixer valve compatibility with regular fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Apologies if this should not be posted here (I have posted to the electricians forum, however just realised the plumbers forum seems to have many more posts covering this mixer unit)

I have a pretty basic question on suitability of a shower digital mixer valve. Checked with the the manufacturer Mira, who insisted that it should only be used with their shower heads, etc. Asked why, looked around, etc but can't seem to find a clear answer why.

Basically I have read the manual (their fittings look pretty similar to other fittings) and cannot see why this unit would not work other shower heads. Am I missing something?

Here are the details

Mira Platinum Valve & Controller - High Pressure / Combi Boiler by Mira Showers - https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/showers/digital-showers/mira-platinum-valve-controller-high-pressure-combi-boiler/

Here is a link to the spec sheet and drawing:
http://resources.kohler.com/plumbing/mira/pdf/mira-platinum-range-product-datasheet.pdf

Here is a link to the manual:
http://resources.kohler.com/plumbin...mira-platinum-installation-and-user-guide.pdf

Any help appreciated!

Having used these things with many other fittings, there are two things you need to consider.

1 - a potential fight with Mira should you have any problems. They WILL blame everything and one else.
2 - I've only ever used high quality hi flow fittings from the likes of Grohe on the processor. What I can tell you is that performance is NOT guaranteed in teh way it is with Mira fittings.

Lastly, I've never found Mira fittings particularly bad. IMHO they are certainly better than Aqualisa.

Many thanks for your resply Dave. OK i understand what you're saying about performance.

If you don't mind I'll provide a little insight into what I'm trying to achieve. Basically, I have been requested to find a suitable mixer valve/control for this spa shower unit (basically a fancy looking 'mist' type showerhead i guess).
Nebia Spa Shower - Nebia Spa Shower

I have been looking at units from Mira, Aqualisa, Crosswater, Vado, etc. I'm trying to find one that I can be used for my purpose. Perhaps you might have seen some other unit I've not come across yet?

Thanks for your help!
Ken

Ken. I'd ask Nabia what the needs are. My best current guess is a high pressure pump behind it. That means you certainly exclude Mira as a means of controlling temp as theirs cannot work with separate pumps.

Thanks Dave. I have checked with Nebia. I have also received the unit. It requires 2.1-6.9 bars.

However as you stated, Mira are out. They won't support anything other than theirs.

I have spent the last week scouting around, and have found a digital mixer/valve unit from Vado - TCH 1000 (single outlet). They are happy for it to be used with other fittings. I have someone checking specifically on the Nebia compatibility.

Do you perhaps have any opinion/experience of Vado digital units?

Last edited:
With a range of 2.1-6.9Bar, your pump needs to be in the middle (4bar) to deliver 'acceptable' performance. 2.1 means it will simply 'work' but pretty poorly.

I have no experience of Vado digital offerings but that is the least of your issues TBH. Of much more concern to me would be your stored HW capacity. At that pressure the flow rate is going to be huge. This means you will eat through all your stored HW in literally minutes. Also bear in mind your waste has to cope with that same flow...

Reply to Shower digital mixer valve compatibility with regular fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has increasingly become harder to operate. The shower was installed before I moved into the house. Basically what happens is that I turn the shower on so there's...
Replies
Views
Hi - recognise this a bit of an odd one. We have an old failed mixer valve which we need to replace. This valve actually predates a temperature controlled boiler, so the mixing functionality is irrelevant, since the cold water pipe is isolated/off. I'd ideally like to replace the shower valve...
Replies
Views
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic control. The hot was not getting hot enough recently so (under instructions from the manufacturer) I removed the allen key valves bottom left and right...
Replies
Views
Firstly , apologies if this is inappropriate. I'm really not sure what questions I should be asking. I had a bathroom refit done around 7.5 years ago, including a digital shower. It's been great, but recently has really started playing up - the controls to raise or lower the temp seem to make...
Replies
Views
I installed Jaquar Fusion thermostatic bath shower mixers during a conversion in 2007. I let the properties out. They have lasted pretty well with the thermostatic and diverter cartridges needing replacing every now and again - some are possibly still the original. Can't really complain about...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock