Search the forum,

Discuss Shower cartridge stuck in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a Aqualisa Midas thermostatic shower that has a very stiff temperature control. I have taken off the control knob and unscrewed the small cartridge screw with a hex key, but the cartridge is stuck fast inside the valve. I think it's a build up of limescale over several years and it won't budge. Does anyone have any tips for how to get the cartridge out?

Thanks

Hard to be specific without a pic and usually, as long as all retaining nuts/grub screws have been removing, just give it some more beans.

Grab really hard with grips and put a spanner or something behind grips to make a level of sorts.

Or even just grips and a slight wiggle up and down.

Thanks Timmy - I took your advice, gave it more beans, and it came out. After soaking it in vinegar it's turning smoothly now, but there is also an intermittent leak. Water sometimes drips from out of the end of the cartridge (see photo). After turning the valve all the way to hot, and then all the way to cold, the leak has stopped for the moment, but I was wondering if I've damaged the cartridge somehow? Is a new one possibly needed or is there a more permanent fix?
Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.10.49.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.10.49.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Thanks Timmy - I took your advice, gave it more beans, and it came out. After soaking it in vinegar it's turning smoothly now, but there is also an intermittent leak. Water sometimes drips from out of the end of the cartridge (see photo). After turning the valve all the way to hot, and then all the way to cold, the leak has stopped for the moment, but I was wondering if I've damaged the cartridge somehow? Is a new one possibly needed or is there a more permanent fix?
Thanks,
Hard to say without seeing while cartridge but it might be possible to remove cartridge, then remove spindle circlip and slide spindle out. Once out, it might only need a new oring.

However, I won’t typically do this on a paid job as once they start leaking, it’s due to age/water hardness and that effects other parts of the cartridge. I’m not risking a potential unpaid call back, I’d just replace the cartridge.

The cost of the cartridge and time to replace it, is comparable to removing the old one and replacing orings etc.

Manual cartridges (showers/taps etc), I change washers/orings/packing and service loads of them, not thermostatic.

Reply to Shower cartridge stuck in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock