Search the forum,

Discuss Shower bar mixer install? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m installing a new shower bar mixer using a fixing kit which means I have to drill into the tile each side of the pipes to install the bracket. I do not want to hit a pipe, what’s the best way of doing it?
4D029E43-0DBF-4F84-A5DD-14B83093BDF7.jpeg
123EDFF6-F240-486D-AC4B-F7886D8912EC.jpeg
1036A9A7-74A4-4381-9B53-13514E8005D5.jpeg
CBD14CD3-7E34-4E13-B353-29C8E2C7052C.jpeg

Most likely the pipes come vertical up or down (I’m guessing that’s a stud wall as the pipes seem to have a lot of play)

You can sometimes tell by careful wiggling and listening believe it or not.

In which case rotate the fixing plates so that the screws are horizontal.

In any case, drill the fixing hole slowly and with only a little pressure, once you’re through the tile continue slowly and watch the pipe - if it moves as the drill advances -STOP.

If you’re going slowly and carefully you will not pierce the pipe and then rotate the fixing plate and try again...

Most likely the pipes come vertical up or down (I’m guessing that’s a stud wall as the pipes seem to have a lot of play)

You can sometimes tell by careful wiggling and listening believe it or not.

In which case rotate the fixing plates so that the screws are horizontal.

In any case, drill the fixing hole slowly and with only a little pressure, once you’re through the tile continue slowly and watch the pipe - if it moves as the drill advances -STOP.

If you’re going slowly and carefully you will not pierce the pipe and then rotate the fixing plate and try again...
Yes the pipes go left & right quite easily if that makes any difference to determining which way the pipes go?

I'll push the pipes back while I drill also so hopefully they're completely pushed back & out of the way then.

I’d use red uno plugs, push them 90% through the tile or they’ll crack - you’ll have to carefully cut off the outer rim of the plug.

As a back up, put a bit of silicone or stixall on the back of the brass plate just before you fix it.

I’d use red uno plugs, push them 90% through the tile or they’ll crack - you’ll have to carefully cut off the outer rim of the plug.

As a back up, put a bit of silicone or stixall on the back of the brass plate just before you fix it.
Sorry what do you mean cut off the outer rim of the plug?

The flange at the top, you need to trim it to a smaller diameter with a Stanley knife, so that you can push it through the tile.

I find if I drill it with a 6mm it’s fine for standard red plugs and 8 screws

The flange at the top, you need to trim it to a smaller diameter with a Stanley knife, so that you can push it through the tile.
Oh do you mean the lip edge of the plug on the end where you insert the screw? As I have some uno plugs & they don't have that on them. I was going to drill using a 5.5mm bit so it's a tight fit, would that be ok or should I go bigger as I will need to push the plug through. And with the screws I was going to use the standard 8 size but if I am pushing the rawl plug through would they be enough to go through? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I do it properly once & be done with it.

Yep

Just in a mm

If uno push them past , any plug that can expand at the ‘top’ end could likely crack the tile.

Some plug have a plain sleeve at the top which will not expand - those can be left flush with the tile.

If you want to be 100% certain which way the pipes go, push a metal coat hanger through the hole and have a feel

Reply to Shower bar mixer install? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock