• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Shower bar mixer install? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I’m installing a new shower bar mixer using a fixing kit which means I have to drill into the tile each side of the pipes to install the bracket. I do not want to hit a pipe, what’s the best way of doing it?
4D029E43-0DBF-4F84-A5DD-14B83093BDF7.jpeg
123EDFF6-F240-486D-AC4B-F7886D8912EC.jpeg
1036A9A7-74A4-4381-9B53-13514E8005D5.jpeg
CBD14CD3-7E34-4E13-B353-29C8E2C7052C.jpeg

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
Most likely the pipes come vertical up or down (I’m guessing that’s a stud wall as the pipes seem to have a lot of play)

You can sometimes tell by careful wiggling and listening believe it or not.

In which case rotate the fixing plates so that the screws are horizontal.

In any case, drill the fixing hole slowly and with only a little pressure, once you’re through the tile continue slowly and watch the pipe - if it moves as the drill advances -STOP.

If you’re going slowly and carefully you will not pierce the pipe and then rotate the fixing plate and try again...

Most likely the pipes come vertical up or down (I’m guessing that’s a stud wall as the pipes seem to have a lot of play)

You can sometimes tell by careful wiggling and listening believe it or not.

In which case rotate the fixing plates so that the screws are horizontal.

In any case, drill the fixing hole slowly and with only a little pressure, once you’re through the tile continue slowly and watch the pipe - if it moves as the drill advances -STOP.

If you’re going slowly and carefully you will not pierce the pipe and then rotate the fixing plate and try again...
Yes the pipes go left & right quite easily if that makes any difference to determining which way the pipes go?

I'll push the pipes back while I drill also so hopefully they're completely pushed back & out of the way then.

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
I’d use red uno plugs, push them 90% through the tile or they’ll crack - you’ll have to carefully cut off the outer rim of the plug.

As a back up, put a bit of silicone or stixall on the back of the brass plate just before you fix it.

Reply to Shower bar mixer install? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net