Discuss Shower Alcove upgrade - Tray or Wetroom look. in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
Our shower alcove is getting on a bit and seen better days, so thinking of upgrading it / getting it upgraded. Size is 800x850 and currently has a standard shower tray rising (about 150mm) above standard timber floorboards and a framed hinged pivot door to cover the front shower entrance.

Was thinking of a lower profile tray or maybe even a wetroom look (e.g. Impey AquaDec or Aqua4MA). Are these wetroom former trays suited to smaller alcoves or are they more for bigger wetrooms ? And maybe would still have a pivot door across the entrance (frameless) to contain the splashing. Any thoughts welcome.

Also, with regard to these wetroom formers and consequent tiling over. How would you access the trap if it needed cleaning etc ?

Many Thanks.

A

Aire

You can get tray formers to suit any size shower. Just get the nearest to the size you require and cut it down. The traps are serviceable from above so no need to worry about cleaning. They do look good but when you consider tray, tanking tiles and fitting etc, its an expensive upgrade, especially if your fitting a screen anyway.

OP
J
Reaction score
You can get tray formers to suit any size shower. Just get the nearest to the size you require and cut it down. The traps are serviceable from above so no need to worry about cleaning. They do look good but when you consider tray, tanking tiles and fitting etc, its an expensive upgrade, especially if your fitting a screen anyway.
Thanks for reply.
Yes, I did wonder about that, in terms of having a pivot door, it maybe defeats the object of having a wetroom former..

king of pipes

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
A new low profile riser tray and frameless type pivot door would be my advice wall boards make a fresh clean look and cleaning and maintenance is a breeze . Kop

townfanjon

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
It all depends on the height of the existing waste in relation to were the new one will go ,
it HAS to “fall”

Reaction score
If you do alter stuff, esp the wet room floor level tray if this room is upstairs then sound insulate between the joists as the vibration of water on the tray can be annoying downstairs. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for all replies and advice.
I will check the fall before I do anything, then take it from there in terms of which options are viable. (I guess even a low profile tray might not be a runner if the fall is not enough).

OP
J
Reaction score
Had a quick gander under the current tray and the existing shower trap has waste pipe which slopes down and then levels out and goes behind the wall so I can't see that bit. I guess it goes the same way as the sink waste. The 'levelling' out is just under the floorboard, so it doesn't look likely that even a low-profile tray would work in terms of the required fall (18mm per meter?). The only way to know for sure is to get the floor up and see where all the pipe runs are.

If you get the floor up, would you normally be able to see where all the waste pipes go and how they feed into the waste stack ?

Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor

Latest Plumbing Advice

Top Bottom