Search the forum,

Discuss Should there be a lintle? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, we've removed a balanced flue gas fire, and want to keep the hole in case we put it back at a later date. My question is should there be a lintle above the opening? It was a new build house, and they have just chiselled the thermalite blocks and then made the flue hole in the outer wall. We are just going to use some plasterboard and vent it to seal it up, please see attached pics. 2nd pic shows the top of the opening behind the plasterboard. Thanks Andy
IMG_20200607_125222831.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_125118288.jpg
    IMG_20200607_125118288.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 7
Yes there should have been, but it may be higher up and that's just a block to fill the gap.

No surprise if it's one of the large House Builders

Yes there should have been, but it may be higher up and that's just a block to fill the gap.

No surprise if it's one of the large House Builders
Thanks for that had a reach up behind in the cavity, once I got all the insulation out( now looks like it snowed in here) I can only feel breeze block joins at least another row up so I'm assuming there probably isn't one there.
[automerge]1591565725[/automerge]

[automerge]1591565831[/automerge]
I'm now thinking it will be easier to just brick up outer skin and use some bricks to fill the hole on the indide, would this be deemed as an acceptable way to close the hole up?

Last edited:

Reply to Should there be a lintle? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have holes in the wall of my shower enclosure. Down low at the open corner, between the quartz wall and the solid pan. Same at each end of the shower. They are obviously intentional. But they seem stupid to me. Just a hole where water can intrude thru the quartz wall to whatever is behind...
Replies
Views
Oily smell from boiler recently before failed. Great plumber sorted though when opened external baffle at front of sealed flue the internal spring like tube lining outer insulation had all perished. Barn conversion with thick walls (763mm). Worcester Bosch say Flue Kits are obsolete and...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has been serviced regularly over the years by different engineers with no issues. Last time , the guy wanted to condem it due to not being compliant with...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock