Search the forum,

Discuss Should removal of old system boiler be complete inc tanks? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Just bought a property that needs lots of work doing so decided CH to be the first to start with.
Old system was 20yrs old so decided on a 35Kw Ideal boiler to be installed by a Gas safe installer.

Despite fairly shoddy work in places the boiler seems to function OK but when I went into the loft found a lot of pipes (still connected) and the black plastic tank, still with 3 inches of water in it, has been left in the loft and I have no idea where the pipes (15mm copper) are connected to.

Surely if its a replacement sys (Using old plumbing) should the loft not have been emptied by the installer for the price?

What type (make, model) of boiler has been fitted and what does the pressure gauge on it normally read?

Was the quote for replacing the boiler and leaving the system as unvented? If so the expansion is still needed.

Or was it for replacing the boiler, sealing the system and removing redudant pipework and expansion tank? If so the F/E tank should have been removed.

Yep the last one.

All pipes serving the old rads (all replaced) kept in place or re-positioned for the new and sealed Combi system installed - tank in loft redundant but just left in place. (as were the brackets from the removed radiators btw)

I have paid all but the last £200 which I think covers all work still in need of doing but I wont have him back in the house. His work is too shoddy. Boiler is commissioned and registered.

Yep the last one.

All pipes serving the old rads (all replaced) kept in place or re-positioned for the new and sealed Combi system installed - tank in loft redundant but just left in place. (as were the brackets from the removed radiators btw)

I have paid all but the last £200 which I think covers all work still in need of doing but I wont have him back in the house. His work is too shoddy. Boiler is commissioned and registered.
If you won't let him back at all, then you're on a bit of a sticky wicket, legally speaking, as you haven't given him a chance to make good. Also, if you feel his work is shoddy, then it could be seen as odd that you have paid the vast majority of the invoice.

Sounds like the guy was cheap as you’ve had problems and he’s left the tanks in

If you won't let him back at all, then you're on a bit of a sticky wicket, legally speaking, as you haven't given him a chance to make good. Also, if you feel his work is shoddy, then it could be seen as odd that you have paid the vast majority of the invoice.
Yes I get that but it took 8 weeks for this person to complete the work and half way through informed me that he had never done a house install before (He is a heating engineer starting out on his own, I later learned) and that is evidenced in the mess he has made of ceilings, where feed & return go upstairs, and floorboards that have been mangled and then screwed in place with just a single screw in the centre of the board.

Yes I get that but it took 8 weeks for this person to complete the work and half way through informed me that he had never done a house install before (He is a heating engineer starting out on his own, I later learned) and that is evidenced in the mess he has made of ceilings, where feed & return go upstairs, and floorboards that have been mangled and then screwed in place with just a single screw in the centre of the board.
The boards that were rendered unusable were subsequently replaced with board that were approx 1cm too narrow (He reckons I was being too fussy as the carpet covers them anyway lol)

The boards that were rendered unusable were subsequently replaced with board that were approx 1cm too narrow (He reckons I was being too fussy as the carpet covers them anyway lol)
There are many faults but like I said lots of this wil be corrected when the other trades have been & gone

The guys an idiot so NOPE he is not crossing my threshold again.
I was asking re the tanks & remaining pipework as I will be furnishing Trading Standards with a breakdown of the issues I am saddled with because he should never be allowed to trade. He is a walking disaster

It’s in the right ballpark I would say.
If it was a really low quote then there would be red flags and the bare minimum would be expected for the finished product which it sounds like you got
Ah Ok thanks for that.
He did inform me that the materials would be around £2500 which we paid up front but I think that might have been a bit top heavy.
Then again I am used to buying a Main 35 (10yrs back) for around £6 - £800 but I think that might be a trite low these days.:)

Anyone still following this might like to see some of the end result of the job I had done.
This is after receiving a text to say all complete.

Can I have the rest of my money now please (£400)

I hope he knows how to sing.

Attachments

• P1120064.JPG
    P1120064.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 26
  • P1120080.JPG
    P1120080.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 22
  • P1120079.JPG
    P1120079.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 21
  • P1120078.JPG
    P1120078.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 19
  • P1120077.JPG
    P1120077.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 18
  • P1120076.JPG
    P1120076.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 17
  • P1120073 (Large).JPG
    P1120073 (Large).JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 20
  • P1120072.JPG
    P1120072.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P1120071.JPG
    P1120071.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 18
  • P1120070.JPG
    P1120070.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 19
  • P1120065.JPG
    P1120065.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 18
  • P1120087.JPG
    P1120087.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P1120055.JPG
    P1120055.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P1120035.JPG
    P1120035.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 19
  • P1120042.JPG
    P1120042.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 19
Any pictures of the boiler and old cylinder cupboard?
I have now added a few pics.

Here is the tank still in the loft with all pipes remaining and the cupboard we intend using for storage where the the old tank was.

Attachments

• P1120069.JPG
    P1120069.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P1120070.JPG
    P1120070.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 19
  • P1120071.JPG
    P1120071.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 24
Some things are unavoidable such as a floorboard splitting or plasterboard crumbling as you try and create a hole.
But that looks like a generally rough/rushed job with no pride taken.

Reply to Should removal of old system boiler be complete inc tanks? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock