Search the forum,

Discuss Should I go with tankless point of use water heaters? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 115596

Hi,

I'm renovating (rewiring electricity, redoing and adding water pipes, gas pipes, moving walls) a house for the first time ever and, among other things, I will need to sort out hot water. Understandably, I have some questions.

It's a very small house currently with only a kitchenette downstairs and no bathroom. I will add a bathroom upstairs directly above the kitchen. I'll need hot water at 3 points - kitchen sink, bathroom sink and shower.

As I said, it's a small house with limited storage space so I'd like to avoid installing a central tank water heater. Also, that would mean more pipes and yearly servicing (if central, it would be a gas boiler).

Only one person will live in the house for most of the year and one more person (2 total) for a few months, so there isn't going to be a lot of water consumption really.

I'm thinking of adding point of use water heaters. I'd like to have instant limitless hot water, so (with my limited knowledge on the subject) I'm thinking to go tankless PoU.

If tank PoU, what size tank? Also under or over sink?

It's in Italy, if ot is relevant at all - voltage and that sort of thing.
I'm waiting for the water pressure info from the relevant authorities, but it seems pretty normal from what I can see coming out of the tap.

What should I do? What should I know?

Thanks.

Thinking the shower will be a problem ie could it keep up with demand and at what cost electricity wise.

Multipoint water heater like this, would need to be installed by a gas registered engineer.

And the electrics need to be designed, installed and tested by a competent spark (assuming you aren't one) - water and electricity needs careful consideration

Thanks all for the answers!

Ok, so what I'm understanding so far is:

- PoU heaters (shower especially) would be too costly electricity wise and wouldn't be very efficient at getting me instant continuous hot water.

- No need for a large gas boiler since we won't have centralized gas heating and need the heater/s for hot water only.

- Best thing would be to get a gas Multipoint water heater (am only hearing about these now for the first time but they sound awesome). That would take care of the downstairs tap and upstairs tap and shower. The model that moonlight linked works with up to 4 points.
Now... a gas engineer would install it, but just so I can start planning things... is it better to have the multipoint heater upstairs? What else should I know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the answers!

Ok, so what I'm understanding so far is:

- PoU heaters (shower especially) would be too costly electricity wise and wouldn't be very efficient at getting me instant continuous hot water.

- No need for a large gas boiler since we won't have centralized gas heating and need the heater/s for hot water only.

- Best thing would be to get a gas Multipoint water heater (am only hearing about these now for the first time but they sound awesome). That would take care of the downstairs tap and upstairs tap and shower. The model that moonlight linked works with up to 4 points.
Now... a gas engineer would install it, but just so I can start planning things... is it better to have the multipoint heater upstairs? What else should I know?
I would put it in the kitchen if possible on an outside wall.

Reply to Should I go with tankless point of use water heaters? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock