Search the forum,

Discuss Should I do NVQ 3 or stick with nvq 2 and do acs, unvented in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

I wanted a bit of advice. i have done the level 2 diploma in plumbing and also the nvq 2. I will be completing the level 3 diploma this year. My question is this.

Do I do the nvq 3 which takes 2 years and includes gas and unvented or do I stick with nvq 2 which makes me fully qualified and able to join a competent person scheme and do the acs, unvented ticket and water regs in half the time. I do not want to work for a big firm or do commercial work. I currently work for someone and did the nvq 2 with him and we will be expanding the business, hence getting gas and unvented qualified sooner would be benificial.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I had this dilemma many moons ago lol , I went the whole way and did the lot , but we did the NVQ3 in 18 months, its made no difference in my work , everyone assumes I am qualified , nobody has ever asked lol . It was more that I wouldn’t have been happy If I hadnt seen it through to the end . However I am self employed so it makes no difference on a CV or in a job interview , you are currently working for someone and would IMO you would probably be best with the NVQ3 , if you can see yourself going on your own in years to come , stick with the NVQ2. Good luck in whatever you chose .

Many thanks for you reply. I think I may do the NVQ 3, take the extra time and future proof myself to any changes.
[automerge]1589032077[/automerge]
The fun part now and what makes things a bit more complicated is that the new level 3 apprenticeships course has been rolled out. Having spoken to my college they don't know if they can offer me NVQ 3 assessement as they are moving to the level 3 apprenticeships which is the new way of delivering the course. I have done the 6189 pathway with the new course being 9189. City and Guilds are still offering the 6189 NVQ 3 and will be doing so until 2026 according to their site. It is just whether I fit in with the college. I have asked them to give me more information but they don't seem to know at the moment as they are still confused / in transition. With this new system only starting last year or this year (I can't remember) there must be loads of guys in the same boat, especially those on the old apprenitiship system of level 2 then level 3. The new system gets away with level 2 it would appear and there is just a level 3 awarded after 4 years. Confusing times. I can't believe that I can't complete the nvq 3 on the old system, having done level 2 dip and level 2 NVQ and level 3 dip in the last years. Indeed the college is still offering the level 3 dip for this september. I will await more information from the college as they may offer different pathways. Any advice from anyone much appreciated.

Last edited:

Reply to Should I do NVQ 3 or stick with nvq 2 and do acs, unvented in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock