Search the forum,

Discuss Should I be worried about this installation ? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have just had 2 new vented hot water cylinders installed by a plumber (not yet finished) however I am a little concerned as the pipes are not attached to anything, the empty tank on the left wobbles a little on uneven floor and is slightly on the wonk. The plumber is really great but this was installed by his apprentice and as yet I have not said anything. I am not a plumber so I don't know but should I be worried and say something or am I worrying over nothing ? Thank you.

Tanks2.jpg

Looks fine to me you could ask him to put an extra clip in with a bit of m10 studding for you

Raise your concerns with the apprentice's boss sooner rather than later. Once the cylinder is full of water the weight is going to want to settle onto the floor and will move in the process.

It's difficult to be sure from a photo but if the top of the cylinder is going to move to the left it'll end up fine. If the bottom of the cylinder moves to the right its going to foul on the pipework attached to the right hand cylinder.

It's okay if the pipes flex slightly to allow the movement is but not okay if any joints are going to be put under significant stress.

Have the discussion when the apprentice is out of earshot.

I wouldn’t worry. They’re using unistrut and decent clips (not typical of Rubbish work).

The apprentice has used a bender and cleaned the pipework. Solder joints look neat, cylinder stubs/connections look about the same size.
It looks like the apprentice is being taught by someone who delivers good/high quality work. I bet the boss has given specific piping instructions and is likely reviewing the work via photos when not on site.

I might be 100% wrong but my gut says this is the case. If my apprentice was consistently producing this work, I’d be happy.

There’s also a chance you’ll see it tomorrow with another few clips on it like Shaun mentioned as the apprentice is possibly on this forum 😂

It's easy to nit pick in this case I'd say it's a neat install and been done with some thought, I suspect more brackets will be added before completion and the insulation is applied . Kop

Last edited:
Bring it up with the plumber. It may be that the horizontal pipe at waist high is a bit too short between the cylinders, pulling the left one over to the right and causing the slant. Before it’s filled up it would be easy to add a piece onto this pipe.

Reply to Should I be worried about this installation ? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock