Search the forum,

Discuss Shock arrester combi boiler in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I usually fit these on the cold feed to the boiler close to the boiler. But if fitting near the boiler would be unsightly. Would they still be effective fit somewhere else in the cold.feed in the system. Say under the kitchen sink? Thanks

To offer full protection to the boiler it needs to be on the direct route from the source of the shock to the boiler, i.e. not up a side-arm.

Why does it matter? Proving it's on the pipework it's doing the same job no matter where it's located.
Because shocks travel very fast, at roughly the speed of sound in water.

So imagine, for example, a shock pulse created by a washing machine valve shutting at A. It travels along a path to the boiler at B. Let's say there is a tee-junction half-way between A and B with the arrestor some distance up the branch. At the the tee-junction the shock pulse splits with (say) 50% of its energy travelling up the branch and 50% traveling to the boiler. If the arrestor is good it will absorb the 50% pulse that arrives at it but it can't affect the other 50%.

So, the presence of the branch and the shock absorber will help reduce the energy of the pulse that arrives at the boiler but only to a limited extent.

Shocks are counterintuitive because the changes to flows and pressure gradients that one is used to thinking about in plumbing happen, relatively speaking, very slowly compared with the speed of sound, so called 'quasistatic' changes.

Reply to Shock arrester combi boiler in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock