Search the forum,

Discuss Shataf not working properly, help needed in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning all,
I recently moved house and miss my shataf (hand held douch spray for washing my backside after using the toilet)
I bought one from Amazon but once connected to the mains via an isolation valve, the hose gets very pressurised and becomes stiff and the trigger becomes difficult to squeeze, then there is a great release of pressure at first (not pleasant!) and, because I have turned the iso valve down, there is not enough pressure to do the intended job!
The big differences with this and my last house is that in the last house, the toilet was on the top floor, now its on the ground floor of a three storey house, is this the pressure in the pipes causing my problem?
Also, last house, it was built into the wall and had the correct valve fitted, whereas here, it's just the iso valve (I considered the iso valve is practically the same thing as the wall mounted valve?)
Hope this make sense!
TIA!.

It’s against uk water regs as there’s a backflow issue as it’s a category 5 risk

It’s against uk water regs as there’s a backflow issue as it’s a category 5 risk
Not arguing here, but can you please explain why it is any different to the tap that sits just a couple of feet away?
It is also connected via an iso valve, and although it operates at the turn of the tap rather than a trigger, it's the same?

Not arguing here, but can you please explain why it is any different to the tap that sits just a couple of feet away?
It is also connected via an iso valve, and although it operates at the turn of the tap rather than a trigger, it's the same?
Taps are installed with air gaps (backflow prevention) and shouldn’t be coming into contact with faecal matter, or pose the risk. The handheld device you have installed doesn’t have any backflow prevention. Read this to be a little clearer: Water Regs UK Limited Don't be a douche about hand showers - https://www.waterregsuk.co.uk/news/newsletter/categories/installer_news/dont_be_a_douche_about_hand_showers/

Its absolutely scandalous the authorities arent taking action on these things but it is what it is. I guess they're waiting for a major outbreak of something like cholera before they take action.
The info they have produced (above) is far complex to be understood by an end user. They are so obviously shying away from spelling it out clearly.

Because you can physically put the head into the toilet / waste

Basically the issue sounds to be the high pressure. Shutting down the isolation valve will reduce the flow but not the pressure (at least not at first, as you have discovered).

If you want to install such a device legally and solve the pressure issue, you'll need a dedicated (does not serve any other device) cold water storage cistern installed correctly to as to provide a 'fluid category 5' air gap so as to protect the mains from contamination under possible fault conditions and possibly a pump off the cistern to provide enough pressure (unless you put the cistern in the loft and run down from that - the height might be sufficient for pressure without the pump). A friend of mine works in a nursing home and his place of work had such a device, but it was also pumped off a cistern (albeit a very posh expensive one hidden in a cabinet just behind the toilet). It may be easier to just install a bidet instead.

Thanks for the answers guys, I am now aware of the issue, although I wouldn't put the douch into the water, I can see that there could, potentially, be an issue.
I think I will be able to install a tank in the room above, this will prevent any threat of contamination and also solve the pressure problem!.

Reply to Shataf not working properly, help needed in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock