Search the forum,

Discuss Sewer smell with AAV in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, would appreciate some help here. This is from an old house in the Netherlands. I often, not always, get sewer smells in the shower room upstairs. In the pic, the two pipes on the right are for a sink and a washer. The one in the middle of the pic is for the shower. As you can see, they are not vented outside, I have an air admittance valve on the left, downstream of the trap. The trap services the shower and washer (the sink has its own trap, though ultimately it flows into this trap as well).

I checked the AAV, it seems to move freely. Though with water running from the tap, it does not seem to create enough pull to open it. If I remove the AAV completely, then the hallway where this is located has a strong sewer smell. Not sure if the fact that two open pipes (shower & washer) share the same trap could be the problem?

I'm afraid I've reached the limit of my (few) plumbing skills!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3761.JPG
    IMG_3761.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 16
Depending on the length waste pipes before the trap, you may need and AAV on the upstream side of trap

Thanks for the response oz-plumber! In terms of length of waste pipe, the shower (pipe in middle of pic) drain is directly above the ceiling. The sink (upper Y piece on the right) is about 2.5m of pipe, with its own trap under the sink. The washer pipe (lower Y piece on the right) is about 1.5m. When you suggest an upstream AAV, what location do you mean? In the pic I've added two possibilities, labeled 1 & 2. Or does the washer waste pipe need to have its own trap, say just before it hits the lower Y piece? Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3761 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3761 - Copy.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
Reckon that’s your issue then, no trap, so the shower waste will act as a sort of vent, releasing odours into the room.
Thanks, but can you explain that a bit more? The middle pipe has the shower drain at the top, and then drops into the trap on the pic. Odours would have to come from the pipe downstream of the trap, right? It's like the trap is not doing its job - not sure why.

I think it's likely that what you a smelling is not the responsibility of of the AAV in the picture but a build up of rotting nastiness (hair, soap, fat, etc.) in the shared pipework between the basin and shower. Needs cleaning out properly. Shower and basin should each have their own traps to prevent this problem.

It's not safe to remove AAVs and leave the pipe open. Sewer gas can contain significant amounts of methane and hydrogen sulphide which are both dangerous. Aerosols are another possible hazard.

I think it's likely that what you a smelling is not the responsibility of of the AAV in the picture but a build up of rotting nastiness (hair, soap, fat, etc.) in the shared pipework between the basin and shower. Needs cleaning out properly. Shower and basin should each have their own traps to prevent this problem.

It's not safe to remove AAVs and leave the pipe open. Sewer gas can contain significant amounts of methane and hydrogen sulphide which are both dangerous. Aerosols are another possible hazard.
Thanks Chuck. Yeah removing the AAV was just an experiment to see what would happen. I don't think the smell is build up crud though. Most of the piping from the trap up is relatively new. There are short sections above the floor that are old, and all the piping below the 90 deg turns under the trap.

Reply to Sewer smell with AAV in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock