Search the forum,

Discuss Sewage smell with oil fired boiler, can anyone advise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elle

I have a nine year old condensing oil fired boiler which over the last year has started to smell horribly. The smell is like sewage, and for months tried to track down a sewage problem. But the smell only happens when the boiler is working. I've had heating engineers in three times, and each time they service the boiler, replace the jet, check the flue readings and tell me all is well. The day after, it smells again.

It is room sealed, ie, the flue has both the exhaust and the inlet, and the smell is not of clean burned exhaust gas, so if it is burning OK, as I'm told it is, I can only guess the leakage is of gas when it fires up or switches off. But how could this leak into the room?

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Dead mice can smell like really bad sewage odour. Mice love warm spots and below boilers & inside boiler insulation is their favourite places. Have you any signs of mice about?
Your condense pipework might be linked to the sewer and pipework beyond condense trap could have a bad joint.

It's not gently toasted mouse, the smell has gone on too long and is different from decaying flesh.
I've just been to examine the condensate pipework, and found there is none, just a drain point on the flue low point!
There is dampness around the pressure relief trap.
The smell happens most early morning, so I'll start to check to see if it coincides with water dripping from the flue or escaping from the relief valve.

If it is definitely a condensing boiler you have, then there has to be a condense pipe somewhere from it and a trap. Should normally be a white plastic trap (similar to a sink trap) possibly inside the boiler casing and normally a white 3/4" plastic pipe going to another waste/sewer outlet perhaps

Ah, it seems I have been confused, this is not a condensing boiler, it is only the gas version which condenses. Sorry for the mis-information.

In France, yes, the Basque country which is like Yorkshire only sunnier and at the moment, a LOT drier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sewage smell with oil fired boiler, can anyone advise? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock