Search the forum,

Discuss Sewage smell in downstairs of house. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. I have seen a house I'd like to buy but on the 2 occasions I have viewed it there has been a strong smell of sewage as i have walked in, and it's in the kitchen too. It's a 1996 built 2 bed house converted into 3 bed with only one bathroom which is on the 1st floor. The 1st floor doesn't smell. The smell isn't coming from the kitchen sink. Any ideas what it is?

Could be anything from trivial, e.g. a trap that has dried out due to a long period of disuse, to serious, e.g. a broken drain resulting in a large pond of raw sewage beneath the building that's rotting the fabric.

Unless the cause is obvious, identifying it may involve a drain-survey and/or taking up flooring, etc. to inspect voids. This is something the current owner needs to do because it can involve a certain amount of mess and damage to finishes.

Is the house empty?
Dried out trap for a washing machine, or dishwasher maybe.
If not then external drain and the smell is getting through a vent or the window.

Reply to Sewage smell in downstairs of house. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock