Search the forum,

Discuss Settling a current soil and vent termination dispute in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Sharp Point

Morning all,

I’m on a new build site and the sparks has installed a extractor fan outlet within 3m of my S&V termination( i Came through a gable end first with NO opening into the fabric of the building within my 3m .... windows or vents) My 110mm termination is to vent a branch that has 6 bosses feeding 2 bathrooms, it comes from beneath the floorboarding and up through the airing cupboard, rises slightly along the attic trusses and through the external gable end wall.
The boss of the sparks company has said, he’s allowed to terminate the extractor fan vents near my termination, as it’s not a window.

Has things changed? Is he correct

Ta

Part H states 3mtrs from Openings into Buildings;
So is an extract vent, probably with flaps and or back draft protection an opening Into?

1.23 Branch ventilating pipes which run direct to outside air should finish at least 900mm above any opening into the building nearer than 3m (see Diagram 6 and paragraph 1.31).

Vent part H.PNG

Thanks, I wasn’t going crazy then. There’s no flaps on their external vent covers neither

Needs to put flaps on there grill that like will do much in 1 years time when they stick open

If I show him that, he’ll probably say that it’s not an intake but an outlet.

Damn, why can’t the regs be more clear

Last edited by a moderator:
If I show him that, he’ll probably say that it’s. It an intake but an outlet.

:D engineers judgement

If I show him that, he’ll probably say that it’s not an intake but an outlet.

Sorry to be a pedant, but he is correct.
The only people who can settle the dispute are BC - but believe me they won't go anywhere near it :mad:
Ask him to buy you a beer to not argue the toss ;):cool:

Sorry to be a pedant, but he is correct.
The only people who can settle the dispute are BC - but believe me they won't go anywhere near it :mad:
Ask him to buy you a beer to not argue the toss ;):cool:

I’m not bothered, because i brought it to the attention of the customer and he’s not bothered. He says that if BC pull it, he’ll just put an elbow on and send it up past the tiles on the table end.

Just annoys me that other trades don’t know building regs. Another class one I get from sparks when it comes to drilling through joists is .... ‘ doesn’t matter, they’re only cables’

Where I spend hours on a new build measuring distances across the span to correctly drill holes

Ha!

The answer is that you got there first! Na na nana na! You dont have to quote regs! You literaly won the (installation) race! The spark has come in second!

[If only it was still playground rules....]

Just annoys me that other trades don’t know building regs. Another class one I get from sparks when it comes to drilling through joists is .. ‘ doesn’t matter, they’re only cables’

Where I spend hours on a new build measuring distances across the span to correctly drill holes

For a bit of balance (as I’m a spark) ....

I was on a big extension recently and the GSR took huge notches out of the tops of all the first floor joists to run pipes .... his view was that the building regs were only guides, not rules.

Most of the regs we are following are poorly written, liberally interpreted and as for other trades regs .... who cares?

I try and keep in touch, and reading this forum does help me ... but few others do.

Part F is a good read ...

And BCOs tend to make up their own rules too

I was on a big extension recently and the 'Registered Professional Gas Engineer' took huge notches out of the tops of all the first floor joists to run pipes .. his view was that the building regs were only guides, not rules.

I once watched a HETAS trainer install a woodstove in a display building at the Centre for Alternative Technology. He noted the flue was very slightly too close to a joist to comply with Approved Document J but that 'it will be alright'. Because we were on friendly I terms, I said in a tone of false shock (quoting him) 'I thought the Building Regs were there to protect people?!'. He replied that well, yes, but to protect people who didn't know what they were doing.

Given that he had a relevant MSc, I decided he'd won that one. Was your Professional Gas Installer able to tell perhaps that the joist so far exceeded the required height that the Approved Document guidelines didn't apply? :)

Reply to Settling a current soil and vent termination dispute in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock