Search the forum,

Discuss Servicing gas coal effect fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I had two gas coal effect fires serviced. The plumber said that very few plumbers have the ticket for servicing these fires. A few weeks later another plumber came to service the Worcester Bosch combi. I told him what the first plumber said about servicing gas coal effect fires. He said that was bollox, that any gas safe registered plumber can service these fires. Who is telling the truth?

You don't have a ticket for servicing specific fires so not sure what the first engineer meant by saying "these fires". The second engineer saying it's bollox is correct with that statement but not by saying any gas safe registered plumber can work on these fires. I'm a gas safe registered plumber and I haven't done the fires qualification. If your ever in doubt, next time you get an engineer out, ask to see the engineers card and look at the back of it and it's lists what they can touch. If your appliance isn't on the list, they can't touch it. For example, the only appliances I have are boilers and cookers, the back of my card lists cookers and range cookers, boilers and water heaters, fires are not listed so I can't touch your fire. If they refuse to show you, don't let them in ;)

Attachments

• 20190807_215924.jpg
    20190807_215924.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
I’d guess the boiler is on a service plan whilst the fire is not. ;)
That's correct, to maintain the guarantee I have an annual contract with the firm who installed the boiler. The contract covers annual servicing and any breakdowns during the year. The company does't do gas fires but the plumber had the qualification for fires which he showed me. When they do the boiler service they always ask if the gas fires have been serviced, so I had the fires serviced beforehand.

It's a WB Greenstar Si compact 30kw NG combi, installed 3 years and 4 months ago, 5 year labour and parts warranty.
The company who installed the boiler have given you a servicing and break down package? How much you paying for that? Your boilers covered for 5 years through wb so paying any other firm for breakdown cover is money straight in their pocket. The annual service can be done by any GSRE to maintain the warranty provided by Worcester.

The company who installed the boiler have given you a servicing and break down package? How much you paying for that? Your boilers covered for 5 years through wb so paying any other firm for breakdown cover is money straight in their pocket. The annual service can be done by any GSRE to maintain the warranty provided by Worcester.
The last premium was £140 for fully comprehensive cover for 12 months, a system maintenance contract which includes the annual service and any breakdowns. They also offer an annual serice only for £80. When it is due for renewal on March 2020 that will be the fifth and last year of Worcester cover, so I suppose I might as well just pay them £80 for the annual service or get any GSRE to do it.

The last premium was £140 for fully comprehensive cover for 12 months, a system maintenance contract which includes the annual service and any breakdowns. They also offer an annual serice only for £80. When it is due for renewal on March 2020 that will be the fifth and last year of Worcester cover, so I suppose I might as well just pay them £80 for the annual service or get any GSRE to do it.
So you've effectively paid a company £140 per year for a service and break down cover even though, if the boiler broke down, Worcester would repair the boiler for free under warranty. As they offer a service on its own for £80 you've been overpaying them £60 a year for a worthless package. Not alot of money in the scheme of things but still abit of a con from the installing company.

So you've effectively paid a company £140 per year for a service and break down cover even though, if the boiler broke down, Worcester would repair the boiler for free under warranty. As they offer a service on its own for £80 you've been overpaying them £60 a year for a worthless package. Not alot of money in the scheme of things but still abit of a con from the installing company.
Agreed
Unless they are covering all plumbing in the house

ouch!! so multiply that by 5 years :oops:

I had two gas coal effect fires serviced. The plumber said that very few plumbers have the ticket for servicing these fires. A few weeks later another plumber came to service the Worcester Bosch combi. I told him what the first plumber said about servicing gas coal effect fires. He said that was bollox, that any gas safe registered plumber can service these fires. Who is telling the truth?
I am no longer GSR. When I was DFE fires were popular. DFE is term for 'gas coal effect'. These things are inefficient, open flued appliances, which are inherrently dangerous, a bit like having a cooking hob in a sitting room. Ok you can have oxydepletion but
the sheer waste of gas is mind boggling. I suggest you get them removed. Centralheatking if not from a safety angle an efficiency point of view. By the way the coals are worn out look poor and you ought replace them and have an expert lay them up correctly and most heat goes up the flue, and your central heating heat goes up there as well..DFE...decorative flame effect not a heating appliance 20% efficient..centralheatking
The rooms these DFE are installed in MUST have always open vents to the outside air, not hit and miss vents or blocked up with cardboard because of the draught of air they have to have to keep you safe. They are and were grate...pun.. in pubs cause they look nice and the free air is always being replenished, but not in private dwellings where people can doze off in ft of their tv
centralheatking

Last edited:
I am no longer GSR. When I was DFE fires were popular. DFE is term for 'gas coal effect'. These things are inefficient, open flued appliances, which are inherrently dangerous, a bit like having a cooking hob in a sitting room. Ok you can have oxydepletion but
the sheer waste of gas is mind boggling. I suggest you get them removed. Centralheatking if not from a safety angle an efficiency point of view. By the way the coals are worn out look poor and you ought replace them and have an expert lay them up correctly and most heat goes up the flue, and your central heating heat goes up there as well..DFE...decorative flame effect not a heating appliance 20% efficient..centralheatking
The rooms these DFE are installed in MUST have always open vents to the outside air, not hit and miss vents or blocked up with cardboard because of the draught of air they have to have to keep you safe. They are and were grate...pun.. in pubs cause they look nice and the free air is always being replenished, but not in private dwellings where people can doze off in ft of their tv
centralheatking

The Magiglow DOES NOT normally need ANY ventilation. It is about 60% efficient. As opposed to the other one which under test conditions probably claims 20%. In a house it could even be a negative efficiency, as I think you intimidated. Those 2 fires are poles apart.

The Magiglow DOES NOT normally need ANY ventilation. It is about 60% efficient. As opposed to the other one which under test conditions probably claims 20%. In a house it could even be a negative efficiency, as I think you intimidated. Those 2 fires are poles apart.
Ok firemant, please do not consider my comments as a negative
they are not at all but I would like to understand how it differs
So this magiglow ...has an open flue ? is a dfe ? probably an oxy depletion etc. It looks like an ordinary dfe so how does it differ and how is it superior ..what are its regs regarding ventilation .regards centralheatking. keen to learn here
by the way I intimated rather than intimidated subtle difference

Ok firemant, please do not consider my comments as a negative
they are not at all but I would like to understand how it differs
So this magiglow ...has an open flue ? is a dfe ? probably an oxy depletion etc. It looks like an ordinary dfe so how does it differ and how is it superior ..what are its regs regarding ventilation .regards centralheatking. keen to learn here
by the way I intimated rather than intimidated subtle difference

It actually IS very different. I am actually at a music festival (bit amateur until teatime) and am on my phone which I struggle with. Even before a days drinking. I will try to answer properly in the morning. For now, a key question when working out what you are dealing with is “can you see up the chimney?”

It actually IS very different. I am actually at a music festival (bit amateur until teatime) and am on my phone which I struggle with. Even before a days drinking. I will try to answer properly in the morning. For now, a key question when working out what you are dealing with is “can you see up the chimney?”
reply after the weekend...where are you at? , drink loads and enjoy
stuff us .! I would mate ...centralheatking

That would work for boiler cover but the Danfoss room thermostat packed up this week and was fixed the same day under the service and repair contract which covers the whole system.

Reply to Servicing gas coal effect fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock