Search the forum,

Discuss Servicing an awkwardly-positioned boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I have a question. When I had my flat refurbished, I had my kitchen ceiling lowered to add insulation. the boiler was not lowered, so now the main box of the boiler reaches a couple of cm above the plasterboard (see photo). We can get the door off ok for inspections, but a plumber has told us that because he does not have easy access to the pipes/valves etc on top of the boiler, he cannot carry out a full service (in particular the flue gas analyser checks, I think). He says the only option is to lower the boiler at a cost of around £800. Can anyone confirm this? I can expand the cavity around the top of the boiler to make it extend around 12cm or so from the from of the boiler. Does that help? All advice appreciated. Thanks
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG

Please don't run the boiler with the case off

And yes by the looks of it need either lowering or an access panel fitting,

Boiler on an external wall ?

Have a word with your service engy which one is he happy with but both are acceptable

First of all, You should to be Gas safe registered to remove that case.

The Boiler manufacturer has distances for servicing which are in the instruction manual. These give the required distance all round the Boiler, which will more than likely be needed at some point during it's lifetime.

You do need access to the flue test points (x 2) on top of the boiler. You can test the flue gases from outside if there is easy access but you would still need access to the air intake test point too.

You could open up the ceiling for access but it would need to be sealed properly again to cover other regulations (building regs, Fire regs etc),

The best way is to lower the Boiler if you cannot re-alter the ceiling to suit.

Don't worry, I don't run it with the panel off! how would the access panel work? Would that mean creating a much bigger hole in front of the boiler, then covering part of that with a panel which I'd remove at servicing time? thanks

It sounds like you have found a reputable Plumber that has a conscience and your best interests at heart.

You could either do what he stipulates, or fob him off and get someone else.

Chances are, the next Plumber may not have a conscience nor you best interests at heart and tell you the boilers been serviced - and everything is OK.

Downside to this - Plumbers with a conscience - charge more.
( it helps with sleeping comfortably )

It would appear that we have a consensus, and that I need to get the boiler lowered! Finally, would you say £800 is reasonable?

How old is the boiler ?

Depends what's he's doing but sounds about right about a day and half work plus materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Servicing an awkwardly-positioned boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has developed a 'fault' recently. When I switch the heating on, the fire in boiler starts for a second or two and then goes off. After another few seconds it starts again and then stays on. This happens around 8 out of 10 times. I had engineer having a...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Hello everyone, Baxi Ecoblue System boiler which was recently serviced just before Christmas. There has since been a constant but slow drip coming from the black nylon plastic drain plug at the back of the boiler which is accessible from the underneath. It does not appear to be from the thread...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock