Search the forum,

Discuss service valves or not in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Refurbishing a bathroom - cold water is mains fed, hot from combi. There is a main service valve to the whole system where the supply enters the house. Do I need to have service valves on bathroom sink, shower and bath? Normally if I have to repair/replace anything I just shut off the main valve.

Depends on the type of kit / sanitary

Showers and baths no

Toilets and basins yes if you can access them afterwards

Personally I think they're pointless. They leak for fun and more often than not you end up replacing them as well as the tap you are isolating.
As above, if they are easily accessible afterwards and you turn them once a year to keep them active, it might be seen as good practice by some.

Reply to service valves or not in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect heating system (have attached some photos). I was wondering if the isolation valve that would shut off the water to the hot water taps is as circled in the...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Is this set up correct: Attic stop valve turns off the cold water to my bathroom (I think it is the rising main in the attic which I and other residents in the building share as we have shared supply to bathrooms and kitchens) Under kitchen sink stop valve turns off cold water in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock