• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss service valves or not in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

mitchino

Refurbishing a bathroom - cold water is mains fed, hot from combi. There is a main service valve to the whole system where the supply enters the house. Do I need to have service valves on bathroom sink, shower and bath? Normally if I have to repair/replace anything I just shut off the main valve.

ChrisB1982

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
They’re not required, only one required is on the toilet. It’s good practice and if you wanted to I’d recommend full bore ones.

Last edited:

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Depends on the type of kit / sanitary

Showers and baths no

Toilets and basins yes if you can access them afterwards

Last Plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Personally I think they're pointless. They leak for fun and more often than not you end up replacing them as well as the tap you are isolating.
As above, if they are easily accessible afterwards and you turn them once a year to keep them active, it might be seen as good practice by some.

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
I always use them, means I can get water off, pipes cut and valved, water back on whilst I'm finishing the install.

Reply to service valves or not in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net