Search the forum,

Discuss Self Employed Plumber Wanting Quals! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good evening PlumbersForum

I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it would be best to write about my own circumstances.

Basically ive been in trade for nearly 8 years now (left school a year early to become a builders labourer & have been progressing ever since). Ive now been plumbing for 3 years & been self employed for 2 of those. Im very confident in my work & cover all aspects of domestic plumbing on a daily basis. From full bathrooms to full central heating systems (bar the gas work obviously).

I was offered a job with the council last week & would if loved to take the job but without qualifications I have no chance of being even looked at by any major firm. This has lead me in search of the quickest way to be at least level 2 Nvq qualified. I wouldnt even look twice at these short “fast track” courses ive read enough on them to know thats a no go. Im wondering if I can have a assessor out to look at my work, I have companies I could get days work out of to do the relevant work on site so is this the best route for me?

As stated im very confident in my practical work, but is a theory test also taken within the Nvq? I spoke to a college that told me they have a Nvq only course to get a portfolio put together but the theory side is what worries me as I dont have a clue about that.

Sorry this is so long winded but really wanted to give a good idea of my circumstances & where im up to,

Thanks in advance!

Hello Reese,
I dont envy you, I've been in similar places in my career and getting a break can be really hard.
I did night school for my nvq about 15years ago
And altho it was a ball ache and mostly a waste of time (on the educational side) it's not hard if you show up. Nights were full of characters, useful tips and helpful contacts that's where the real value was!

I've even considered going back as a evening storesman to scout for talent, and I'm sure I'm not the first.

Would it be quicker to attend a night course & qualify that way over getting an apprenticeship? I don't struggle for work & have a few small companies that even filter smaller jobs they don't have time for so an apprenticeship wouldnt be hard to come by. Its just the time scale im toying with at the moment?

My course was 2 years I think, then I took a pay cut to work for a company that promised me my gas quals. They just took advantage for years so I ended up doing it myself anyway.
I'm sure there's quicker routes but it's all experience

If you can find someone who'd support you through it then I'd say jump at the chance!
Be prepared to take a step backwards to make two forwards.

Good evening PlumbersForum

I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it would be best to write about my own circumstances.

Basically ive been in trade for nearly 8 years now (left school a year early to become a builders labourer & have been progressing ever since). Ive now been plumbing for 3 years & been self employed for 2 of those. Im very confident in my work & cover all aspects of domestic plumbing on a daily basis. From full bathrooms to full central heating systems (bar the gas work obviously).

I was offered a job with the council last week & would if loved to take the job but without qualifications I have no chance of being even looked at by any major firm. This has lead me in search of the quickest way to be at least level 2 Nvq qualified. I wouldnt even look twice at these short “fast track” courses ive read enough on them to know thats a no go. Im wondering if I can have a assessor out to look at my work, I have companies I could get days work out of to do the relevant work on site so is this the best route for me?

As stated im very confident in my practical work, but is a theory test also taken within the Nvq? I spoke to a college that told me they have a Nvq only course to get a portfolio put together but the theory side is what worries me as I dont have a clue about that.

Sorry this is so long winded but really wanted to give a good idea of my circumstances & where im up to,

Thanks in advance!
They offered you a job so take it! End off.

Was just a jovial comment on the depth and helpful nature of your post, but while were on the point of pointless replys - well done!

Go for the job interview with the council and explain to them your situation, councils like sending people on courses and letting them progress in their careers, it’s good for their overall profile. You’re more likely to get your tickets there than at any other firm, plus they’ll pay for it and pay you too... that’s a double win in my book.
Good luck pal

I totally agree with Stu on this one. If your government departments are anything like ours, they love coming around asking what you are going to do for your personal development. To have someone training for plumbing quals will likely tick a few boxes their end and get you where you want to be too.

Thank you for all your replies! I have just spoken again to a college near me (Manchester) who have informed me they do an Nvq only course in which I would just need to fill out my portfolio & an assessor will come out onsite to see me doing a few job, no theory is involved just all work place based... does anybody know how true that is or if they are just trying to have me over. I think if I was in the process of ticking the boxes towards my qual I would definitely have a chance of gaining a mainstream placement.

does anybody know how true that is or if they are just trying to have me over. I think if I was in the process of ticking the boxes towards my qual I would definitely have a chance of gaining a mainstream placement.

It's true that can be done. I work at the FE college here in the plumbing dept. helping to run the C & G level 2 and 3 and although we don't have much demand for it, last couple of years one of our lecturers's has been out doing site visits for the same purpose as yours. I never saw these guys in the workshops or classroom, in fact I didn't meet them at all but they got their level 2 that way.

Have a look at this NVQ Level 2 Plumbing Assessments. I'm not suggesting you use this company in particular but it gives the information about the C & G level 2 done solely through site visits by an assessor. You will have to come in to a training centre/college to take some computer based exams but you do not need to attend any classes, just do self study with the supplied materials. Also might be a couple of practical scenarios to complete in the college workshops but it's nothing like having to do a 4 or 5 year apprenticeship.

Go for the job interview with the council and explain to them your situation, councils like sending people on courses and letting them progress in their careers, it’s good for their overall profile. You’re more likely to get your tickets there than at any other firm, plus they’ll pay for it and pay you too... that’s a double win in my book.
Good luck pal
With the council you will have a right to career development and they are required to pay and give you time off to improve yourself...its a no brainer....just go for it
centralheatking

Hi Reece,
Unfortunately, you cannot do the NVQ without first successfully completing the College based Diploma
( City & Guilds 6035).
Be very wary if told differently!

Hi, I'm in a similar boat however i do have my 6035. There's a company near Dartford that do a whole variety of courses they may be able to help?? Not cheap though, but like others have suggested go for interview, council love to be seen to help and develop individuals, makes for go pr for them!! Good luck

The NVQ only segment of your overall qualification, should cost approximately £1000 - £1200.
This would consist of support and explanation of how to complete your E-Portfolio. Plus of course at least three ‘on site’ visits.
Hope this helps and good luck with your careers.

Reply to Self Employed Plumber Wanting Quals! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock