Search the forum,

Discuss Self employed/ contracting gas work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. Sorry for another boring topic on going it alone. Have read through previous ones and am a little more worried now lol but have found some useful info. Work for a national company at the moment mainly doing boiler repairs. I've been doing this for 10 years on a variety of boilers and systems so am fairly experienced. I was initially going to sign up to someone like Homeserve or Corgi home plan, try and get in with some estate agents, and obviously start advertising myself. I'm based in west London so plenty of options I guess, but just wanted to know if this is a good way to start and if anyone was doing similar? I'm on 40k ish a year at mo, but fed up of current employers. I understand the extra work involved, probably not fully till I take the plunge, but am used to long days and lots of weekend working which I currently do. Any advise appreciated

Good luck I wouldn’t recommend going to places like them as

Service / check around 25-30
And hour rate on break downs will be around the 20-25 mark

I would keep on my 40k tbh no need to worrie about finding work in an saturated market also race to the bottom

There are some fellas that are absolute natural self employed
in any sphere of business..in our industry, their are many barriers to entry..GSR etc. but
if you feel up to it have a go. I did and many others on here also. BUT to be a success you really need to be at all times positive ...and look a solutions not problems. There are always problems being your own boss ..its how YOU deal with these problems...if you are not up to it then stay employed or step out and bite the bullet....Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Hi all. Sorry for another boring topic on going it alone. Have read through previous ones and am a little more worried now lol but have found some useful info. Work for a national company at the moment mainly doing boiler repairs. I've been doing this for 10 years on a variety of boilers and systems so am fairly experienced. I was initially going to sign up to someone like Homeserve or Corgi home plan, try and get in with some estate agents, and obviously start advertising myself. I'm based in west London so plenty of options I guess, but just wanted to know if this is a good way to start and if anyone was doing similar? I'm on 40k ish a year at mo, but fed up of current employers. I understand the extra work involved, probably not fully till I take the plunge, but am used to long days and lots of weekend working which I currently do. Any advise appreciated

Dont bother with CORGI as they arn`t CORGI as you and all know them . They operate under a licence . They are imho not a professional company . They will also try and manipulate your invoices and it will cost you to work for them if you get my drift . The homeserve one may be the better option . thx dave

Homeserve is always looking for one man bands. The pay isn’t brilliant. Homeserve has engineers all over the place and they will only sub work out If they can’t get to it. At 4/5pm you’ll get a few calls.

Thats why i said become an approved one get full rate of pay .
Friend does it earns a packet and you get paid on completion. Earns couple k a week but like u say he has to jump through alot of hoops

If I could work for a company then at the moment I would but working for someone winds me up.

I'm no economist so I may be wrong but even I can see that we are heading into a recession. Not just because of brexit i do believe that people will hold off buying things unless they really have to but the main thing is the building industry at the moment is out of control (or at least around me it seems to be) they are building so many homes so quick that they are going to mess the building trade up for the next 10-15 years. I've already noticed that those houses that were starter homes are up for sale longer than they would be because 1st time buyers are buying through the help to buy scheme with only a 5% deposit but then they get stuck in those houses as they struggle to sell them as the next would be owners need a 10 or 20% deposit. So give it a few years all trades will be saturated by site plumbers hippies etc and prices will plummet.

If I could work for a company then at the moment I would but working for someone winds me up.

I'm no economist so I may be wrong but even I can see that we are heading into a recession. Not just because of brexit i do believe that people will hold off buying things unless they really have to but the main thing is the building industry at the moment is out of control (or at least around me it seems to be) they are building so many homes so quick that they are going to mess the building trade up for the next 10-15 years. I've already noticed that those houses that were starter homes are up for sale longer than they would be because 1st time buyers are buying through the help to buy scheme with only a 5% deposit but then they get stuck in those houses as they struggle to sell them as the next would be owners need a 10 or 20% deposit. So give it a few years all trades will be saturated by site plumbers hippies etc and prices will plummet.
You are absolutely spot on with your analysis, I have friends in the property business and do a bit of surveying...over supply is nearly upon us....centralheatking

Reply to Self employed/ contracting gas work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock