Search the forum,

Discuss seized? or am I missing something!? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,
View: https://youtu.be/TxkVkcsD9AI

I cannot find any more grub screws, is it seized?
(I am assuming that I need to replace the rubber washer to stop the drip)

..any help greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• still tap1.jpg
    still tap1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 4
Blimey thats stuck , if you have taken the screws out if the end that should release the handles , try some WD40 sprayed down both ends with the small red tube that they give you and leave it half hour ish , good luck

Block of wood between spout and handle.
It's not a rubber washer, it's a ceramic disc. Will need specific insert for tap. If you know the make then that's good.
Or.
It's a cheap tap, maybe more cost effective to change tap. Buy a good brand that spares are available for.

As SimonG mentions above, it will be a ceramic cartridge and there are loads of different ones. Screwfix do some ceramic cartridges that fit most taps, so you'll 'probably' be able to replace it but may be a bit of a pain.
I'm sure that screw you undid is all that is holding the handle on. It must be seized, as SimonG suggests, use a block of wood and pry it off. Make sure the force is concentrated on where the actual sticky out handle part meets the cylindrical cover part or you may snap something.
Have you tried undoing the handle on the other side, it may be easier and will show you what you'd expect to see on the side that's giving you trouble. Cartridges are generally sold in pairs (they are at Screwfix) so do both sides at the same time, the other side is likely to be in a similar shape and may start dripping soon anyway.
Or buy another tap.
If you go for another cartridge take the old cartridge and handle with you. You can compare the size of the cartridges and be sure your handle will fit on the splines of the new one.

Wow thank you all so very much for your time and sensible constructive input.. appreciated.

Yes,. it must be seized, removing the screw does nothing

The other side is just the same,. doesn't budge, but doesn't drip yet.
Well, if it is the whole cartridge that needs replacing rather than just a washer (and not knowing what type i'd need) I think going the WD40 route and possibly damaging the spout,.. i'll replace the whole tap.

Cheers

Iin my experience I would be replacing the tap mate.Time is of the essence and by he time you strip the tap down and source the part....Off with the old and on with a new tap.

Thanks Donametchi but I don't share that philosophy, not in this case anyway especially under coronavirus lockdown!

I think I've identified it to be the Bristan Monza mixer, so I've ordered cartridges and new handles for ÂŁ11+pp
I'll try the WD40 and wood wedge when they arrive.. Actually I'll start marinating it in WD40 from now!

Otherwise I'll get the hacksaw out.
I'll video it, so you can all have a laugh when I $#@+ it all up!

Attachments

• spares-drawing.pdf
    175.5 KB · Views: 4

Reply to seized? or am I missing something!? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock