Search the forum,

Discuss Secondary return in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
Just wondering can anyone tell me why a secondary return can not be plumbed with plastic pipe like pex or pb

Interesting exedon; so it sounds like it should be ok in a domestic situation with a timed or PIR operated pump- but not in a constant or commercial setting.

Yet the same type of pipe can be used in heating installations at presumably slightly higher temperatures and slightly lower pressures.

I've looked into this situation fairly deeply, a couple of years ago, and can find no manufacturers ( the ones I was going to use - not all ) that say their pipe can't be used in this situation.

If their pipe can't be used for secondary return systems, you would think they would emblazon the the fact that their product is not suitable.

Contact the Manufacturers of the product you want to use and get confirmation either way.
If they respond ( some didn't in my situation ), use the one's who say their product is suitable.

I've looked into this situation fairly deeply, a couple of years ago, and can find no manufacturers ( the ones I was going to use - not all ) that say their pipe can't be used in this situation.
Hep2O is one that says 'no':

"No. Continuously operated re-circulating systems (Secondary Hot Water Circulation/Ring main installations) are very different from conventional hot water supply and central heating systems found in domestic properties, for which Hep2O products have been tested."

Polypipe say no, see note 1 bottom of table

Polypipe.PNG
.......................................^^^^^^^^

Yes, but hep says “continually operated re-circulating circuits”

I would suggest this is not what one has in a domestic secondary return situation.

Mlcp or copper only plastic is a no unless it’s on a pir sensor and max run time of 5 mins which isn’t enough for a src

Do you know the run time to get hot for 12m of 22mm , and what size is best for the return in this situation?

I know 12m is about 4 litres, but I’m guessing you have to flow much more than 4litres through to replace all the cold with hot?

I would suspect on a domestic system that would run maybe 2 hours in a morning, 1 hour at lunch and maybe 2-4 hours at night it would be fine. In fact there's systems that I know of that are like this. I think the main issue is when it runs 24/7. But it's certainly an interesting topic as no manufacture can give you the main reasoning why.

Do you know the run time to get hot for 12m of 22mm , and what size is best for the return in this situation?

I know 12m is about 4 litres, but I’m guessing you have to flow much more than 4litres through to replace all the cold with hot?

0.11 per m for 15mm so 12m is around 1.4l

it all depends on your length as this needs to be replaced with hot / warm

Length is 12m, pipe is 22mm - so that’s about 4 litres.

So 15 mm return of 12 m too (another 1.4 litres)

So 5.5 litres of cold in pipes. Turn pump on, how much has to flow until pipes are hot . Presumably quite a lot more than 5.5 l, but how much?
Aldo what speed is secondary return pump run at? (Slow I guess?)

Normally around 1lpm max

Around 10 mins yes

So PIR not going to be any good for this situation.
Timer best?
I’m guessing these can “learn usage” now like the immersion heaters and so on?

So PIR not going to be any good for this situation.
Timer best?
I’m guessing these can “learn usage” now like the immersion heaters and so on?

timer could be set to constant so no

pir is the only option hence why it’s a double edge sword with plastic and why most manufacturers say no

So with copper return is it normal to have pump on constant during day?
Does one put some sort of temp sensor to turn off pump when return pipe gets up to say 50 deg c?
I’m guessing cylinder needs to be on constant too , to reheat as cool water is brought back - coikk LG d get expensive pretty quick (obviously as much insulation as possible would help)

So with copper return is it normal to have pump on constant during day?
Does one put some sort of temp sensor to turn off pump when return pipe gets up to say 50 deg c?
I’m guessing cylinder needs to be on constant too , to reheat as cool water is brought back - coikk LG d get expensive pretty quick (obviously as much insulation as possible would help)

yep temp sensor on the return these days you can get pumps with temp sensors attached so once upto preset temp it turn off

Do a fair bit of this sort of work use tectite metal its rated for continues use easy to use as plastic not that much more expensive.

yep mlcp

Armaflex normally but it’s gotten a bit hard to get in the last 12 months so had to use some grey

yep the whole hot pipework needs to be lagged

Use climaflex 22-25, stops things freezing but not convinced it does much more. I’ll try to get armaflex, Chuck a load of loft insulation over it for time being.

If you want to go all out use the rockwool insulation (silver foil on the external)

Reply to Secondary return in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Wb 4000 recently installed, and just balanced the rads with around 16 degree delta across most rads. I'm trying to make sure that the return temperature to the boiler are less than 55 degrees to ensure condensing is occurring. But in the service menu it only shows the primary heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
Return temperature
R
WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees but still. Flow set to 60 degrees for now. 1.Obviously I want to ensure the return temperature into the boiler is below the 55 ish degrees needed for...
Replies
Views
B
I'm a plumbing novice so first of all I apologise if I'm not explaining this situation correctly. I've recently renovated a house for my family to live in and we're having an issue with water not staying hot when the secondary return circuit is on. From a starting point of fully heated the...
Replies
Views
J
Need advice on secondary return issue. When secondary return pump is running no hot water flows from hot taps.when pump off the taps work. Anyone come across this before?? Appreciate any reply
Replies
Views
JohnyC
J
We have had an ongoing issue with low hot water temperatures in a school. During the recent repair of a leak, the plumbers isolated the hot water to fit a new bit of pipework and found that water wouldn't stop running until the cold boosted water was also isolated. Given this, it would seem...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock