Search the forum,

Discuss Secondary Return Pump control in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I’ve just installed a secondary hws circulator and wondered on a sensible control strategy. Pump comes on when cylinder is heating up, but when cylinder is off on the timer the pump will Need to run To deliver hot water to the outlets. I was thinking along the lines of a separate 7 day multi on/off time clock. Any suggestions.
Thanks
Rob

1. The better secondary circulators have a timer built into them. I assume you have checked that your's doesn't. Sometimes under a cap.
2. If it comes on when the cylinder is heating, then:
2a. If it is being heated by the boiler, presumably you have wired it into the control box.
2b. If it is being heated by an immersion heater, presumably you've wired it into the immersion circuit, which shouldn't really be done.
3. I'd suggest you wire it into an ordinary programmer, as you say, a seven day one. Something like the Drayton LP711, provided it can take the loading.
4. It can be on at all chosen times. Having it on while the water heats may be a bit pointless.

1. The better secondary circulators have a timer built into them. I assume you have checked that your's doesn't. Sometimes under a cap.
2. If it comes on when the cylinder is heating, then:
2a. If it is being heated by the boiler, presumably you have wired it into the control box.
2b. If it is being heated by an immersion heater, presumably you've wired it into the immersion circuit, which shouldn't really be done.
3. I'd suggest you wire it into an ordinary programmer, as you say, a seven day one. Something like the Drayton LP711, provided it can take the loading.
4. It can be on at all chosen times. Having it on while the water heats may be a bit pointless.
Thanks for the reply.
Pump is a basic SD60B 3 speed bronze pump, no fancy timer built in in this instance. My thinking on running the pump once the he’s load is started is hot water availability should be relatively soon as draw off and return cover the top 1/3 rd of the cylinder. I’ll probably go down the plug in timer route although these smart socket outlets do provide an alternative solution.

Attachments

• E7513A00-786B-4468-9205-9A03301B2C09.jpeg
    E7513A00-786B-4468-9205-9A03301B2C09.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2

Reply to Secondary Return Pump control in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock