Search the forum,

Discuss Secondary return problem in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Had a customer contact me today.
They have brought a property that has an unvented cylinder with a secondary return.
The property has been extended the hot taps in the original side of the house work ok but the hot taps in the extension side run hot for a few seconds then go cold. The run is about 25 meters long.
They don’t know if it’s ever worked ok.
I’m thinking a pump issue, passing mixer or air lock. Anyone else have any other ideas before I go and take a look at it?

My initial thought;
To me that sounds like at first the extension is pulling hot water out the return leg, then continuing to pull cold water out the cylinder, depending exactly where the return is piped into the cylinder.
There should be a non return / check valve on the return at or near the cylinder to stop reverse flow.
This has either failed or isn't there at all.

If you stand at the cylinder with your hand on the return and get someone to open one of the extension taps, if the above is the problem you'll feel the return go from hot to cold.

Another possibiltiy is if the cold is not regulated to the same pressure as the hot and there is crossover at a mixer, probably in the extension otherwise it would affect the original area.

I've had some fun over the years with commercial secondary returns.

Last edited:

Reply to Secondary return problem in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, All was good until one day the hot water suddenly started running quite a lot cooler. Putting my hand on the output at the boiler it's still hot there so I'm guessing there's a problem with cold water feeding into the hot water somewhere along the line. I have mixer taps on two...
Replies
Views
J
Need advice on secondary return issue. When secondary return pump is running no hot water flows from hot taps.when pump off the taps work. Anyone come across this before?? Appreciate any reply
Replies
Views
JohnyC
J
We have had an ongoing issue with low hot water temperatures in a school. During the recent repair of a leak, the plumbers isolated the hot water to fit a new bit of pipework and found that water wouldn't stop running until the cold boosted water was also isolated. Given this, it would seem...
Replies
Views
B
I'm a plumbing novice so first of all I apologise if I'm not explaining this situation correctly. I've recently renovated a house for my family to live in and we're having an issue with water not staying hot when the secondary return circuit is on. From a starting point of fully heated the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock