Search the forum,

Discuss Secondary return problem in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Had a customer contact me today.
They have brought a property that has an unvented cylinder with a secondary return.
The property has been extended the hot taps in the original side of the house work ok but the hot taps in the extension side run hot for a few seconds then go cold. The run is about 25 meters long.
They don’t know if it’s ever worked ok.
I’m thinking a pump issue, passing mixer or air lock. Anyone else have any other ideas before I go and take a look at it?

My initial thought;
To me that sounds like at first the extension is pulling hot water out the return leg, then continuing to pull cold water out the cylinder, depending exactly where the return is piped into the cylinder.
There should be a non return / check valve on the return at or near the cylinder to stop reverse flow.
This has either failed or isn't there at all.

If you stand at the cylinder with your hand on the return and get someone to open one of the extension taps, if the above is the problem you'll feel the return go from hot to cold.

Another possibiltiy is if the cold is not regulated to the same pressure as the hot and there is crossover at a mixer, probably in the extension otherwise it would affect the original area.

I've had some fun over the years with commercial secondary returns.

Last edited:

Reply to Secondary return problem in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock