Search the forum,

Discuss Second circulating pump, Flow or Return pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

casaco

Hi, we have a problem with a large property, 25 radiators, 2 x 29Kw boilers on a manifold, zoned into two areas, the radiators furthest away in master bedroom, about 30 meters, just not getting hot, all flushed out and clean, the pump on its own is not powerful enough, there are other radiators 20 meters in the opposite direction to master bedroom but that circuit is working fine. Which pipe would be best to install a second pump on.
My business partner who normally does the design work died in November, pneumonia, so I am on my own now, any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
casaco

The pump may be fine if its been sized right. Try balancing it first. Google balance radiators and you'll have all the info you need.

Would need to see the layout of the existing system, any drawings ? What size pipework are we talking about, 58kW for 25 rads seems a bit overkill ? did the system stop working ?

Hi Chris, actually there could be more than 25 rads if you count the towel rails and there is a huge unvented cylinder, the owner wanted hot water fast and plenty of it, when you isolate one wing of the property, the other wing does heat up, i have tried balancing the rads but when both zones are open one wing cools down.
I know a second pump will solve the problem and I think the return pipe would be best, I was just wondering if that was the popular consensus.
Thanks for the reply.

Surely if one zone is getting priority due to bad pipe lay out putting an extra pump on he return won't solve anything. Saying that it's hard to say without being here and seeing for myself.

Hi casaco :)

having an additional pump added adds complications IMHO ... Have you inherited the problem, new or old installation?

Hi Chris, actually there could be more than 25 rads if you count the towel rails and there is a huge unvented cylinder, the owner wanted hot water fast and plenty of it, when you isolate one wing of the property, the other wing does heat up, i have tried balancing the rads but when both zones are open one wing cools down.
I know a second pump will solve the problem and I think the return pipe would be best, I was just wondering if that was the popular consensus.
Thanks for the reply.

Why ask for advice when you ignore it?

Why ask for advice when you ignore it?

i thought that. also second pump at best would need fine balancing due to "starvation" of working zone!.
split system or re-pipe to suit.. IMHO TA steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Second circulating pump, Flow or Return pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello folks I've moved into a property last month and started to note things that may need looking at. Some of the radiators on the ground floor aren't getting very hot, I've had a few passes of balancing to no avail, In light of the above, I took a look down in the subfloor yesterday to take...
Replies
Views
Silly question (and might already been asked 100rds of time) - I am specifying a circulation pump for the hot water secondary (circulation) return to reduce the wait for hot water. HW is coming from unvented cylinder with a secondary return connection. The secondary return is almost straight...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring, probably not been used until recently now it's colder. When heating is called for, the boiler fires up ok but soon shuts down the heater as the...
Replies
Views
I am repiping my radiators with pex al pex, manifolds. 2 zones one 4 rads and one 2 rads. I will have the circulator pumps on the return. The picture is sorta what I am going for My questions are: where should I install my expansion tank? what else should I have/add into the piping? if...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock