Search the forum,

Discuss Seating a syphon correctly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plum Bob 66

Hi There

And before i start I know your all going to say here we again.Please just explain to this newbie the correct way of replacing a syphon on a close coupled toilet to ensure it doesnt leak. At present I do it like this, but it allways fil me with trepidation.

1. Isolate water via service valve or mains
  2. Flush and drain with my aqau vac
  3. Unscrew or saw off wing nut dependant on condition.
  4. Uncouple the cistern and take out old syphon
  5. Place corden of silicone round base of syphon under gasket, refit
  6. Screw up and hand tighten nut
  7. Repalce donut if existing one
  8. Re seat and test.
If some of you have choked on your tea regarding point 5 and use of silicone to ensure a seal then I apologise. Im only interested in best practice and making sure the syphon seats properly and remains watertight with the flush test

So please some you old hands out there can you give me a definitive version of the above that should ensure success every time

All the best
Bob;)

Hi There

And before i start I know your all going to say here we again.Please just explain to this newbie the correct way of replacing a syphon on a close coupled toilet to ensure it doesnt leak. At present I do it like this, but it allways fil me with trepidation.

2. Flush and drain with my aqau vac
  3. Unscrew or saw off wing nut dependant on condition.
  5. Place corden of silicone round base of syphon under gasket, refit
  6. Screw up and hand tighten nut
  8. Re seat and test.
If some of you have choked on your tea regarding point 5 and use of silicone to ensure a seal then I apologise. Im only interested in best practice and making sure the syphon seats properly and remains watertight with the flush test

So please some you old hands out there can you give me a definitive version of the above that should ensure success every time

All the best
Bob;)

That's the way I would do it exept
Point 6 I give it an extra tighten with a set of footprints
Your doing a good job keep it up

i agree with gray0689 regarding point 6 although with the extra nip up silicone is not normally needed.

Sounds all bang on to me. Allay your trepidation. Is a good list.

2. Flush and drain with my aqau vac (carry in a hoover if you want but i just lift the cistern off the pan and tip it down the pan or in the bath - just be careful)
  3. Unscrew or saw off wing nut dependant on condition. (not got one but a dremel is very good for making light work of cutting off wingnuts when access is a b**ch)
  5. Place corden of silicone round base of syphon under gasket, refit (dry inside so silicone has a shot at setting and if i'm up agains the clock and don't want to dismantle toilet again, bead of silicone round rim of hole in pan where doughnut sits)
  6. Screw up and hand tighten nut (as said, extra 1/4 or 1/2 turn to tighten with big grips/footprints)
  8. Re seat and test. (replacing washer in inlet connector if need be, which it almost always does and 3 times out of 5 the screws that secure the cistern to the wall)

Bob the list is sound although i never use silicone but thats just me : )

I dont use silicone unless the bottom of the cistern is like the Himalaya's and that is quite often nowadays !

hi sounds good to me fella i dont use silicone shouldnt need to

why is it i always have to go to call outs where silicone covers everything and the whole lot leaks anyway! what did you all do before silicone was invented?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seating a syphon correctly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock