Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing side of toilet cistern in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have fitted this brass float valve to my toilet cistern.
Obviously the inlet is the same level as the overflow pipe so it needs to be water tight.

The inlet pipe is not flexible and enters the cistern at a slight angle to the side of the cistern, the washer I used is not squishy. The result is that it doesn't make a seal.

I would say the gap is about 3mm at the top.
Can anyone give me tips on how I can make this water tight?

0 use this.jpg

I might be wrong as canā€™t fully see it, but firstly, you need to throw away what looks like your part 1 ball cock as the water regulations does not allow them in a toilet cistern.

It has to be part 2 to prevent the risk of back syphon/contaminating the wholesome water supply.

Then you need to either raise the ball cock position by a few mmā€™s or lower the supply pipe by a few mmā€™s, this will level it out and allow a square flush connection to be made.

To raise it, try turning the backnuts around so the alignment lip isnā€™t forcing the ballcock down. This should allow it to be raised a few mm and there should be enough washer to cover the hole.

Or preferably, disconnect and remove ball cock, then remove 5mm/enlarge the bottom of the wood wall supply pipe hole to allow it to exiting wall a few mm lower.

Rubber washers are available it's best to place one next to the cistern then the poly one , turn the sealing nut over flat side against the poly washer and tighten , that should do it šŸ˜‰šŸ‘
I have some washers 3mm thick and they look like they will do the job but I had wondered if a Plumber would use something like Plumbers Mait or silcone sealant/mastic.
I'll give the washers a go.
Thanks for the advice.

Nope to silicon / putty

I do it dry just flip your plastic nut around on the inside

Reply to Sealing side of toilet cistern in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock