Search the forum,

Discuss Sds max has died I need a new one. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
My trusty but battered titan sds max drill has died or it still works on drill but the switch to turn it into kango doesn't want to shift any more than 1/4 turn. For £99 getting 3 hard years work out of it drilling Up To 52mm through granite walls.

Any others out there that people recommend? Not interested in spending £1000+ on a hilti and tempted to just get another titan but if there are any other good cheapest ones I'm all ears.

My Ryobi 240v sds died on me last week as well. I owned it for 7 years. Was so sad about it, I had to drown my sorrows on Friday and Saturday night.

TBH id your happy buy the same

Bosch for me if you don’t want Hilti corded

I’ve got a makita mains power.

Also a hitachi battery power they’re good.

However work have given me a dewalt not tried it but it looks good.

Im liking dewalt at the minute but super expensive.

I'm not a big fan of dewalt they are not the best build quality in my opinion. I had a dewalt core drill get that hot doing a 52mm hole that it melted the plastic and the screws came out. That's with a new bit as well. Also had an sds plus that was gutless and eventually after about a year set on fire.

Not sure about the other bloke. But I need one that can core as well.

Won't get many sds max that do core as well as most you can't turn hammer off so I've found. My core drill died the week before so got to replace that just going to get the makita from screwfix as that can't be worse than the dealt one I had.

How about buying a Hilti?
Or one that was a demo?
I have the Hilti TE60 and use it now for to do cores. Very safe as has an electronic cut out which works instantly, plus a safety clutch.
Can buy them on eBay very reasonable

How about buying a Hilti?
Or one that was a demo?
I have the Hilti TE60 and use it now for to do cores. Very safe as has an electronic cut out which works instantly, plus a safety clutch.
Can buy them on eBay very reasonable
Will take a look mate.

Just got home and found this on my desk mate. No good for me. Anygood for you?

image.jpg

I was doing a job a few years ago and had to drill quite a few 50mm holes in reinforced concrete.

I bought a Bosch GBH SDS max drill from eBay 2nd hand and it wasn’t much more than a titan etc. The thing is a monster, defiantly recommend if you’ve got heavy work. It came with a load of cruciform carbide drills and they are a lot quicker than cores etc.

I have a Hilti and a Hitachi. The Hilti beats the Hitachi hands down in performance. Had a Bosch before which I bought second hand and was fine. You do get what you pay for.

Most have brought out cordless sds max drill capable of 5 " coring nowadays, why the soft spot for Bosch sds (still use my 24v btw)?

Most have brought out cordless sds max drill capable of 5 " coring nowadays, why the soft spot for Bosch sds (still use my 24v btw)?

Might be capable of coring but what about putting a 50mm hole through granite. Ungodly stuff that chews bits up and spits them out especially blue anvil or something like that :eek::mad::mad::mad:

Thought my ryobi sds had died the other month. Sat and took it apart earlier. Only blooming fixed it haven’t I.;);):p

I just bought another titan.

The last one lasted even with me abusing it and just over £100 if it only lasts 2 years then hey ho.

dont have any batteries for dewalt and true milwaukee have got one but bosch will always have me for there sds they make some cracking ones in my opinion

I’ve got a Bosch GBH 11, I bought it second hand from Fleabay when I had some big drilling jobs. It’s a monster and has had some real abuse and kept on going. I’d have to check but I don’t thing it has a non hammer drill function. I’d guess it was about 15kg and not something you’d want to hold while you core.

My Makita sds is as old as my youngest son 19..it has done
4 inch core , 36 inch 18mm and wider on its 2nd or 3 rd set of brushes still performs like I expect it to do, solid machine and this is not micky mouse diy almost every day and Cornish Granite
centralheatking

I bought a couple of Dewalt FlexVolt kit but it was quickly sold on. The batteries essentially contain 3 normal 18v batteries. If you use it with an 18v tool you get 9ah which is cracking, if you use the same with a 54v tool you get a pitiful 3ah as the batteries are connected in series. The grinders and saws I had were very powerful but the rub time made them almost worthless.

Good to know but I thought you could acutally choose between whether to use 18v & 54v on the Flexvolt range and therefore opt for the extra runtime, obviously not. I've posted a youtube review in the tools section where Hilti whoops the lot of them.

Good to know but I thought you could acutally choose between whether to use 18v & 54v on the Flexvolt range and therefore opt for the extra runtime, obviously not. I've posted a youtube review in the tools section where Hilti whoops the lot of them.

That’s possibly a feature they’ve introduced with the new tools, wasn’t an option with the ones I had as far as I know. My understanding is the flex volt thing came about because of battery capacity limits on air travel. They’ve dodge these rules by building 3 batteries into one case and using electronics to connect in series or parallel depending on application.

I’ve gone off Hilti in a big way due to poor service/support. Seem to be another great company circling the pan these days. What support you get appears to be luck of the draw what you get depending on what your local rep is like.

I heard they were closing down most of their shops

Yeah, they seem to have shut a lot. They only seem to be interested in fleet service agreements wit big companies.

They don’t really seem to have kept ahead of the others in terms of quality either. 15 years ago the DIY Ryobi type brands were garbage. Today they actually make products that work, they might not be the right choice for something you use day in day out but they’re cheap and generally last quite well.

Reply to Sds max has died I need a new one. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock