Search the forum,

Discuss Screaming cold water tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Can somebody help please

I am trying to fix a very noisy hand basin cold water tap in a bathroom.

The tap or pipe screams and knocks when turned on

The system is direct and quite high pressure.

I have had to take the basin off the wall to get access to the tap. It must be about 40 years old but it appears, apart from some limescale build up, to be in reasonable condition.

The jumper and washer look in good condition

The pipework is well secured to the wall.

I cannot understand why it keeps screaming and knocking

Any advice would be most helpful

thanks

Paul

turn your incoming mains stop valve down by one clockwise turn,then see or here what happens

good luck mate

Thanks flat pack

I will try that although my client likes the pressure to be high. Looks like I will have to change the taps and fittings anyway as they are very corroded.

The washbasin has a 3 hole basin mixer with a twin flow outlet, anyway will be going to a plumbers merchants for a replacement tomorrow and will let you know how I get on

thanks

Paul

Thanks flat pack

I will try that although my client likes the pressure to be high. Looks like I will have to change the taps and fittings anyway as they are very corroded.

The washbasin has a 3 hole basin mixer with a twin flow outlet, anyway will be going to a plumbers merchants for a replacement tomorrow and will let you know how I get on

thanks

Paul
i had a lot of trouble getting hold of a 3 hole mixer last time i needed one there not the of the shelf item they were

Hi

I fitted a 3 hole mixer on the basin last week

I was a Bristan one not sure of the model as the customer purchased it but will see if I can find out

How do you reduce piping from banging? If I suddenly turn on the kitchen tap the pipes make a loud noise.

Could do with a bit more information

Are the pipes properly clipped ?

Is there a loose jumper in a valve, incoming main stop valve, or the kitchen tap ?

What tap is it, the hot or cold ??

Hi

Hurrah, have fixed the problem thanks to all your help. It was the cold water pipe and all it needed was a new jumper and washer. It is hard to believe that it was just that causing all the problem.

I was worried that the parts would be difficult to source as the 3 hole mixer is so old, however got the jumper from Mica hardware.

However have another problem now putting it back together, I cannot get it to seal.

The mixer is a solid metal block with a 22mm screwed nut with a central hole to allow a 15mm pipe conection. I have tried reconnecting it with olives but there is still a leak, what is strange is when I took it apart there were no olives and I cannot understand what sealed it. It is so old and full of limescale it seemed that that was holding the seal.

Does anyone have any ideas

thanks

Paul

Hi I forgot to mention it was a Bristan 1901 3 hole basin mixer i fitted in th e same house as another thread where i posted I fitted 1901 globe taps.

Customer wanted same taps all through house

It wasn't too long ago so they mighrt still make them but I admit I cant remember the last 3 hold mixer I fitted to a basin

If its only a small leak give it 24 hours as it usually takes that long for it to seat properly, if it still leaks after that let us know. I take it you used ptfe tape or some other sealant?

Hi

Hurrah, have fixed the problem thanks to all your help. It was the cold water pipe and all it needed was a new jumper and washer. It is hard to believe that it was just that causing all the problem.

I was worried that the parts would be difficult to source as the 3 hole mixer is so old, however got the jumper from Mica hardware.

However have another problem now putting it back together, I cannot get it to seal.

The mixer is a solid metal block with a 22mm screwed nut with a central hole to allow a 15mm pipe conection. I have tried reconnecting it with olives but there is still a leak, what is strange is when I took it apart there were no olives and I cannot understand what sealed it. It is so old and full of limescale it seemed that that was holding the seal.

Does anyone have any ideas

thanks

Paul

Some of the old models just had rubber "O" rings, which could deteriorate over time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Screaming cold water tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock