Search the forum,

Discuss Scratching my head here with this. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hammers4spanner

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
HAve hot water cylinder that have changed the immersion. However have changed it over still not working. Have 240v going through the element and all seems correct but still no hot water

Did you check the immersion spur switch? Could be loose neutral wire there or can be inside the switch.
Remember the switch (2 pole) will have 2 switches actually inside and one of them can be faulty.
Also check at consumer unit or another switch that might be elsewhere.
Use a multi meter

Easy way to tell at the stat

Live to neutral 240
Live to earth 240

Then test the element

Did you check the immersion spur switch? Could be loose neutral wire there or can be inside the switch.
Remember the switch (2 pole) will have 2 switches actually inside and one of them can be faulty.
Also check at consumer unit or another switch that might be elsewhere.
Use a multi meter

Would that still give him 240v to immersion?

HAve hot water cylinder that have changed the immersion. However have changed it over still not working. Have 240v going through the element and all seems correct but still no hot water

Might be a stupid question but, you have left it long enough to heat up? And turned the immersion stat up?

Any reason? I thought this proved if the element was good or not?

I used to subby for Kingspan , in my experience they work or they dont , I have put them in with ridiculously low or high readings and they still work.
If anything if they didnt read right they tended to be noisy , poor insulation I think .
Golden rule with any immersion heater as the ultimate test , wire it up to a plug and put it in a socket, if it works you look towards stat, programmer , spur switch etc etc.

if the immersion is 19 odd ohm then thats around 12 ish KW which means it ok. I would be looking at the integrity if the wiring. The golden rule with electrical work is knowing what your doing

I used to subby for Kingspan , in my experience they work or they dont , I have put them in with ridiculously low or high readings and they still work.
If anything if they didnt read right they tended to be noisy , poor insulation I think .
Golden rule with any immersion heater as the ultimate test , wire it up to a plug and put it in a socket, if it works you look towards stat, programmer , spur switch etc etc.

Good idea that

What I would do is 240 L-N and 240 L-E if that's good then turn power of check for continuity across thermostat (or overheat stat as sometimes seperate)

If all of those are ok then faulty immersion.

My guess is the stat as they are shocking.

if the immersion is 19 odd ohm then thats around 12 ish KW which means it ok. I would be looking at the integrity if the wiring. The golden rule with electrical work is knowing what your doing
240V/19ohm = 12amp, not 12kW. Power = 240^2/19 = 3kW, about right for an immersion.

As above wire it to a plug, plug in to a known good supply with extension lead, see if it works, then wire the stat in see if it still works. Then report back
Centralheatking

As chalked said above, check to see if the immersion heater has an overheat thermostat. This is an additional thermostat beyond the one you can use to set the temperature. The overheat thermostat will trip if the temperature goes too high (85 + degrees) and does NOT reset itself. You have to push in a button, often through a small hole, to reset it.

Reply to Scratching my head here with this. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock