Search the forum,

Discuss Saniflo dispute, advice needed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

D

DJM1980

Hi there, I'm trying to settle a dispute with my landlord.

We recently had a blocked Saniflo toilet (after I'd been a little overzealous with the toilet paper).
Not the first time the toilet had been blocked, but on this occasion, it wasn't so easily unblocked.

Our landlord had to send out and engineer and he identified two items in the toilet system - A tampon. And a wet-wipe.
These items can't have come from us.
My partner, has been pregnant since we moved into the flat - ie. no need for tampons.
And we don’t use wet-wipes in our house - they’re damaging to the environment and it’s not something we use, let alone flush down the toilet.

When the engineer was asked on-site if these could have been flushed into the system before we moved in (six months earlier), he said they could have been, causing the previous blockages and only now causing a fatal blockage. However, he then wrote a report for the landlord, saying it was just a wet-wipe and that it had been put down the toilet recently.

My question is: Is it possible this wet-wipe have been flushed six months ago, only causing the failure now.
Or do we have a fairy in the house, who has flushed something they shouldn't have?

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

No chance, if something is flushed away that shouldnt have been then it will show up with the motor being noisy or jammed within two flushes.
It may not have been you or your wife so consider any vistors male or female that may have used the toilet.
The so called engineer should know this and should not say one thing to you and report another!

No chance, if something is flushed away that shouldnt have been then it will show up with the motor being noisy or jammed within two flushes.
It may not have been you or your wife so consider any vistors male or female that may have used the toilet.
The so called engineer should know this and should not say one thing to you and report another!

Thanks for your reply RPM. There's no way anyone else used that bathroom, so I'm left a little perplexed. The toilet became blocked after I put too much toilet paper down there, so it definitely wasn't a 'two-flush' cause and effect. Thanks for your insight though.

Yes I’d say it’s entirely possible, depending on make of wet wipe, I believe some breakdown extremely slowly if at all.
Thanks for your reply Ben-gee. I think the problem with these Saniflo toilets is that you can't flush wet-wipes at all, not matter which make.

Are you willing to take the landlord to court over this? (There's no certainty you'd win BTW).

If you're sensible, the answer will be 'no'. In which case, just tell the landlord your version of events. Most landlords would just say 'fair enough' at that point because keeping good tenants is worth more than a single bill for a blocked toilet. If they don't then either write it off to experience or start looking for a new flat.

You've said yourself that you put excessive quantities of toilet paper into a Saniflo toilet, which you need to avoid doing. Either flush more than once during the cleanup process or, have a suitable small bin in the loo for used paper / sanitary products / nappies that can then be disposed of with the rest of the domestic waste.

Thanks for your reply RPM. There's no way anyone else used that bathroom, so I'm left a little perplexed. The toilet became blocked after I put too much toilet paper down there, so it definitely wasn't a 'two-flush' cause and effect. Thanks for your insight though.
Ok, if you are absolutely certain that nobody else could of used the wc in that room.

Now allow me to explain why I said what I did. So we know a tampon and a wet wipe was put in the pan then 6 litres of water added which picks up the matter and carrys it up and over the U-bend in to a cage where the cutting blades are, so unless there is a long pipe between the wc and the saniflo the distance is what, 12 - 16"? So where have the items been lurking for muliple flushes over the last six months?

Reply to Saniflo dispute, advice needed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock