Search the forum,

Discuss Salamander pump - no cold water being pumped through in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I've just moved into a house that has an immersion tank and a Salamander pump above it for the showers. It started leaking after a week and the shower went really hot so we called someone out who replaced an O ring, which stopped the leak, but it's still coming out too hot. I've just checked the cold water tank in the loft and it's full - could that be blocked somehow? I also noticed the cold water pipes going in and out of the pump feel hot, not sure if that's normal? Any advice appreciated.

EDIT - the plumber came out and drained the header tank, and opened the shower/cold tap in the en-suite then filled the tank again to get rid of any airlocks. He said cold water should start to come through once the immersion tank's filled. That was about 2 hours ago and still nothing coming through. Does this mean the pipe coming from the header tank is blocked?

Both cold feed pipes (inlet and outlet) of the pump should feel cold.
If you turn shower to full cold you should have cold or luke warm water at the shower.

Call your plumber again. I can't second guess his line of thought, but would imagine if he's worth his salt he'll be disappointed to know he left a property without testing whatever remedy he has applied and he will want to correct his mistake.

Been to a similar problem today, in my case it was a blocked mesh filter on the cold inlet to the shower valve.
Try removing the shower valve and checking the filters.

Just providing an update on this in case it's of any use to anyone.

So my plumber was great to be fair, kept coming back because it was wrecking his head why nothing was working - tried flushing the airlock out with a hose etc. In the end he got his mate out to have a look, he couldn't see what the issue was either so resigned ourselves to it being a fault with the pump somehow.

Last minute he takes another look at the pipes, which are all over the show to be honest - then says hang on let me just try this. He unscrewed the other pipe from the pump, the one we assumed was the cold outlet - turns out that was the inlet pipe. We'd all be working from the assumption that the two pipes that come down to the top of the pump were the inlets, when on this pump they're the outlets and the side pipes are the inlets [see attached pic]. The airlock was pretty much instantly gone after that. Moral of the story: never assume!!

Have to give the guys their due, they came out four times and didn't charge any extra. Feel bad though, the plumbers mate will be lording it over him for years to come now haha :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_123918556.jpg
    IMG_20210831_123918556.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 5

Reply to Salamander pump - no cold water being pumped through in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock