Search the forum,

Discuss Salamander Negative Pump Pulsing issue in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Recently had a Negative pump fitted that was sourced used to keep costs low. The pump has followed all the tests provided by Salamander support and runs perfectly. However when hooked up to the Thermostatic valve it pulses. 6 seconds on, half second off, 6 seconds on and so on.

If i remove the shower hose from the thermostatic valve this increases the pulse time to around 20 seconds on and half second off.

I have purchased the widest bore shower hose i could find 12mm but this has made little difference.

I am not convinced i needed a negative pump..

anyone ever come across this issue?

The CWT is in the loft and the shower is on the floor below the other side of the hot water tank.

Where is the pump fitted ?

Where is the pump fitted ?
Hi Shaun,

The pump is fitted in the cupboard next to the Hot Water Cylinder.

IMG20220724104156.jpg

Did you check the vessel charge on top when empty ?

Also you haven’t plumbed it in to spec eg s flange ?

Did you check the vessel charge on top when empty ?

Also you haven’t plumbed it in to spec eg s flange ?
I did check and top up the vessel post install following Salamander how to video mate

The plumber installed it mate not me, would you mind elaborating what you mean by flange?

Should be like this as the way you have it can lead to air coming in via the vent and stopping the pump

1658662592663.png

Problems are it's a salamander, it's been installed by a half wit, it looks like it tees off of the cylinder cold feed and hot same as above.

Problems are it's a salamander, it's been installed by a half wit, it looks like it tees off of the cylinder cold feed and hot same as above.
so which problem is causing the pulsing?

Here is the pipework consideration.

I'll happily get in a different plumber if the issue is the setup

Also i was trying to determine if it was a negative pump i needed all along but no-one has mentioned that as a potential issue.

IMG20220724180106.jpg

Plumber is the issue and negative head wouldn’t effect / cause the pulsing

That's not a plumbers work, maybe handyman or diy.

Not enough info on if a negative head shower is required.

How did you keep costs low on the negative head pump?

That's not a plumbers work, maybe handyman or diy.

Not enough info on if a negative head shower is required.

How did you keep costs low on the negative head pump?

Second hand pump

Plumber is the issue and negative head wouldn’t effect / cause the pulsing

I've asked another plumber to quote.

watching plumbers youtube channels they do seem to fit the pumps in the same way so this is a common issue/mistake i'm guessing.

They say the rule of thumb is use a negative head pump if you are getting less than 1Ltr per minute flow, i am getting around 3 Ltr per minute so on that basis i could of gone for a positive head.

Any links to these channels ?

Height of shower and the type of shower is the deciding factor eg pos vs neg

Also neg / universal can be used in both types/ situations

1658736766560.jpeg

so took it upon myself to swap the Negative pump for a positive one as i wasnt convinced the Negative pump was required or wasnt causing the issue.

Now have a positive pump in place and working perfectly.

Looks like (hopefully) i can avoid the fitting of flanges and expensive plumber refits.

Reply to Salamander Negative Pump Pulsing issue in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock