Search the forum,

Discuss Running water in toilet pan until I lift the cistern lid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Griffin

Hi,

I have running water into the toilet pan after flushing. It is not the overflow as the water level stops below the overflow. The water in the cistern does not start rising after flushing.
That is until I lift the cistern lid off. Doing this immediately allows the water level to rise. Not sure what the tube is called that connects the push button flush to the central column (valve?) but it is almost as if pulling that straight - by lifting the lid - allows the water to rise.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the ball valve stop when the lid is down ?

Is this a new toilet or a new replacement valve you have fitted?
Sounds like something is stopping the refill valve operating when the lid is in place.

Haven't got a ball valve as such, is this the valve that stopes the water level just below overflow? That seems to be working fine but doesn't get a chance to work when lid is down as the water doesn't rise at all.

The toilet is 4 years old, no replacements in that time. It sounds like it is something not working when the lid is down but not sure what it could be. I don't know what lifting the lid changes apart from stretching out the tube between flush button and flush mechanism. When the lid is down that tube is coiled slightly at the top of the cistern, just below the lid.

Just to add, if I detach the push button and lid and push something else (pen) into the flush mechanism whilst holding it up it works fine.

can you post a pic of the inside of the toilet? it will help us in a diagnosis

Here you go, holding the cistern lid up. It flushes fine like this.

IMG_3065.jpg

can you post a pic of the inside of the toilet? it will help us in a diagnosis

I`ve had similar before and it was all to do with which way the excessive amount of cable was coiled in the cistern. Have a play with it and see if you can find the sweet spot for it to work.

Try removing the syphon & refitting so the overflow tube is near the water inlet valve,

I`ve had similar before and it was all to do with which way the excessive amount of cable was coiled in the cistern. Have a play with it and see if you can find the sweet spot for it to work.

Thanks, I do think it could be as simple as this as it works when the cable is uncoiled due to lifting the cistern lid. Will have a play around with it.

Try removing the syphon & refitting so the overflow tube is near the water inlet valve,

Just to help Griffin;
jts, are we thinking just grip the valve near the bottom, twist to disconnect the 3 or 4 securing lugs, reposition and secure the lugs again.
Best done with water to cistern isolated.

Last edited:
Just to help Griffin;
jts, are we thinking just grip the valve near the bottom, twist to disconnect the 3 or 4 securing lugs, reposition and secure the lugs again.

yes that's it

Just to help Griffin;

yes that's it

Thought I'd come back and update on the solution.

In the meantime, the push button broke which caused a delay.
It was how the cable was coiled in the cistern. Trying a few different ways has eventually resulted in the toilet flushing fine for a week now.
Thanks for your help.

Thought I'd come back and update on the solution.

In the meantime, the push button broke which caused a delay.
It was how the cable was coiled in the cistern. Trying a few different ways has eventually resulted in the toilet flushing fine for a week now.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks for taking the time to come back with good news, so many people hit n run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Running water in toilet pan until I lift the cistern lid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock