Search the forum,

Discuss Running pipes above boiler - air trap? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

We installed a combi boiler in an upper flat by taking the pipes up (above the boiler) and into the loft, and then dropped them back down to the radiators in 3 different rooms (as opposed to the normal method of running the pipes under the floor beneath the boiler which was not possible in this flat).

We now started having F75 fault problems which we think could be caused because of air trapped in the loft pipes. Our thinking is that since there are no radiators above the boiler (in the loft), it is impossible to get rid of any air that rises above the boiler, and gets trapped in the loft pipes above the boiler.

What do you think? does the automatic air vent in the boiler get rid of the air trapped in the pipes above it, or do we have to go up into the loft, and install an automatic air vent there at the highest point to get rid of any air that might get trapped in these loft pipes?

Thanks

Yes you need vents in the loft or fit an air separator
Thanks for getting back to me. Can we just install two automatic air vents in the loft pipes at the highest points, one on the flow, and one on the return? I assume if we just put one on the flow, it will not get rid of air in the return because it is a separate high point loop, is that correct?

Yes you need to vent the flow and return.
It could be a manual vent or you could try blasting water through from the filling loop and out of a drain off first

Yes you need to vent the flow and return.
It could be a manual vent or you could try blasting water through from the filling loop and out of a drain off first
Thanks, we installed a an automatic air vent on the flow and return, and it works now. We were worried however about the pump sucking in air from the return automatic air vent, so once the system was free from air, we shut off the automatic air vents. We can reopen them in the future if needed

Reply to Running pipes above boiler - air trap? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
I have a issue which I’m assuming is an airlock in the return pipe just above the boiler. The pipes go up and over and then enter the boiler at the bottom. The boiler fires up normally but the heat doesn’t get far and the the pipes next to the boiler make like a fluffing noise. I’m not the most...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also have an UFH zone in the kitchen. Near the boiler I have 2 port valves which control this part of the system. The boiler has been loosing pressure...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock