Search the forum,

Discuss Runcorn Woman Fined For Falsely Claiming She Was Gas Safe Registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Lou

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Subscribed
Catherine Dick was prosecuted by Halton Borough Council Trading Standards.

The 33-year-old from Clayton Crescent in Runcorn, pleaded guilty to two offences of making false claims when she appeared at Chester Crown Court.

Dick, trading as ACN Heating and Plumbing Services of Clayton Crescent Runcorn, had claimed to be gas safe registered in a Yell.com advert that she placed in June 2014.

She had also used the Gas Safe registered logo on her invoices.

Dick is not qualified as a gas engineer and not registered with Gas Safe.

The court heard that the matter came to light in June 2017 when Dick was stopped by police for driving without a licence.

The invoice pad was found in the vehicle she was driving and messages about gas work she had done was found on her mobile phone.

Dick had pleaded not guilty in the Magistrates Court and elected to go to the Crown Court for a trial by jury. On the day of the trial Dick changed her plea to guilty.

Recorder Nadeem told Dick that the driving offences and the Trading Standards offences illustrated an attitude of defiance of regulatory requirements.

He noted that Dick had failed to co-operate with the Trading Standards investigation and failed to comply with the justice process.

When sentencing, Recorder Nadeem told Dick that they were serious offences: that she had gained an unfair advantage when competing against qualified and registered engineers and that she might have misled the public who used her services and exposed them to harm.

He went on to say that a message needed to go out that those who provide plumbing services for gas appliances must be duly qualified and registered.

The court heard that Dick was in receipt of Disability Living Allowance and currently unable to work following an operation on her back.

Recorder Nadeem acknowledged that she was on benefits but said the offences were so serious they needed to be marked by a financial penalty.

Dick was fined £250 per offence and ordered to pay £1,000 towards the costs of the prosecution, Recorder Nadeem commenting that an amount of the prosecution costs resulted from her lack of response to the investigation and her non-compliance with the justice process.

Halton Borough Council's executive board member for trading standards, Cllr Dave Cargill, said: "There are real risks when an unqualified and unregistered person carries out gas work.

"We know that ACN Heating and Plumbing Services have been claiming to be gas safe registered since 2014 but we don’t know how much work they have done.

If you think you have employed Catherine Dick or ACN Heating and Plumbing Services to carry out gas work then it would be wise to have that work checked by a qualified and registered gas engineer."

£1250 wow what a huge deterrent. NOT !!!

I think these must have been just the Trading Standards offences, i.e. lying about having the GSR qualification. I hope that HSE can now come into the ring and prosecute for breaches of the Gas Regulations associated with actually doing the work.

I think these must have been just the Trading Standards offences, i.e. lying about having the GSR qualification. I hope that HSE can now come into the ring and prosecute for breaches of the Gas Regulations associated with actually doing the work.

Yes pal , pretty sure that will follow, I haven't read it in any of the gas safe mags . Stopped for having no driving licence , wow says it all doesn't it .

Catherine Dick was prosecuted by Halton Borough Council Trading Standards.

The 33-year-old from Clayton Crescent in Runcorn, pleaded guilty to two offences of making false claims when she appeared at Chester Crown Court.

Dick, trading as ACN Heating and Plumbing Services of Clayton Crescent Runcorn, had claimed to be gas safe registered in a Yell.com advert that she placed in June 2014.

She had also used the Gas Safe registered logo on her invoices.

Dick is not qualified as a gas engineer and not registered with Gas Safe.

The court heard that the matter came to light in June 2017 when Dick was stopped by police for driving without a licence.

The invoice pad was found in the vehicle she was driving and messages about gas work she had done was found on her mobile phone.

Dick had pleaded not guilty in the Magistrates Court and elected to go to the Crown Court for a trial by jury. On the day of the trial Dick changed her plea to guilty.

Recorder Nadeem told Dick that the driving offences and the Trading Standards offences illustrated an attitude of defiance of regulatory requirements.

He noted that Dick had failed to co-operate with the Trading Standards investigation and failed to comply with the justice process.

When sentencing, Recorder Nadeem told Dick that they were serious offences: that she had gained an unfair advantage when competing against qualified and registered engineers and that she might have misled the public who used her services and exposed them to harm.

He went on to say that a message needed to go out that those who provide plumbing services for gas appliances must be duly qualified and registered.

The court heard that Dick was in receipt of Disability Living Allowance and currently unable to work following an operation on her back.

Recorder Nadeem acknowledged that she was on benefits but said the offences were so serious they needed to be marked by a financial penalty.

Dick was fined £250 per offence and ordered to pay £1,000 towards the costs of the prosecution, Recorder Nadeem commenting that an amount of the prosecution costs resulted from her lack of response to the investigation and her non-compliance with the justice process.

Halton Borough Council's executive board member for trading standards, Cllr Dave Cargill, said: "There are real risks when an unqualified and unregistered person carries out gas work.

"We know that ACN Heating and Plumbing Services have been claiming to be gas safe registered since 2014 but we don’t know how much work they have done.

If you think you have employed Catherine Dick or ACN Heating and Plumbing Services to carry out gas work then it would be wise to have that work checked by a qualified and registered gas engineer."
Runcorn Women are lovely hmm I wonder if she is related to
Cressida Dick..?

Last edited:
It mentioned she had not been cooperative with Trading standards , presumably not giving previous customer names and therefore revealing total numbers of gas jobs done.

She must have had a crap Solicitor because I thought if you admit to all offences even just numbers they can't later be used against you. Or have I watched too much TV ?

As it is now she could be prosecuted and probably jailed for further offences when they come to light.

Reply to Runcorn Woman Fined For Falsely Claiming She Was Gas Safe Registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock