Search the forum,

Discuss run pipes for underfloor heating? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 102951

Hi
I have an installation for CH half way installed (first fixed)
I want to tile all the floors.. and have realised it will be too cold so I thought about laying pipes in the floors instead of having radiators and simply using the flows and returns that are already there for the radiators to simply connect the pipes
Is this feasible? (attached is floor plan and below are the sqm sizes of each room)
Its a ground floor / concrete uninsulated / finished in tiles
Many thanks
legepe
SQM = HEATING / SQM = TOTAL FLOOR SPACE - excluding ie cupboard/bath etc
Kitchen 12 / 20
Lounge 8 / 16
Bed 5 / 9.3
Bath 2 / 2.5
Hall 5

Floorplan with sizes.jpg

Unless you want to burn your feet on the floor, it’s no.
Underfloor is great when done properly, get it designed by a supplier for free. Your heating pipework runs at around 60-75degrees.
Underfloor runs at 47 degrees. It needs to be on a separate zone too.

Unless you want to burn your feet on the floor, it’s no.
Underfloor is great when done properly, get it designed by a supplier for free. Your heating pipework runs at around 60-75degrees.
Underfloor runs at 47 degrees. It needs to be on a separate zone too.
Can modifications be simply done at the boiler and then use the pipework thats already installed? I will get a professional to do this.. however, I need to keep costs down and was planning to lay the pipes in the floor myself

Can modifications be simply done at the boiler and then use the pipework thats already installed? I will get a professional to do this.. however, I need to keep costs down and was planning to lay the pipes in the floor myself

No as this would lower the temps to the other rads

No as this would lower the temps to the other rads
I am assuming the same boiler can support both systems radiators and UFH.. pipes are already in place for rads so might as well keep this in place as rads have already been purchased.
Now to keep it simple as poss can i simply take a separate feed from boiler down to floor level and run pipework into 4/5 separate zones?

There are thermostatic valves which controls effectively the temperature of the radiators.. why can this same system not be used for UFH at each zone?

You can but these will have a more accurate temperature regulating device. I’d get it designed for you

@Uheat – Jake

No one does it as you wish to for very good reason. It does not work properly.

Underfloor needs to be designed properly so you will need both professional design advice & appropriate equipment to run it safely & reliably. Saving money by bodging it will leave you with a system that is potentially unsafe.

As a public forum we cannot contenance any form of unsafe advice as collectively we have a duty of care.

As a public forum we cannot contenance any form of unsafe advice as collectively we have a duty of care.
Im not going to hold anyone to ransom... Dave...! Im just trying to get an idea of how this works... Im strugling to understand how a system that requires less heat to operate ie underfloor heating cannot be run on a higher temperature within the same system operating radiators...
I am at the right place no?

You’ve been told why if it runs at higher temperatures it can cause damage, cracked floors and most importantly burned feet it needs to be regulated temp wise properly

He is not going to take any notice & will carry on, cos he knows better & can't understand why someone won't tell him what he wants to hear.
So here we go -
Yes it will work all you have to do is install suitable sized rads corrected outputs so that they will work along side the low temperatures being used in the underfloor system, install W/C controls with a mixing valve (or direct off the boiler) to give a variable temp heating circuit but with the ability to go back up to 70+ if you want to have stored hot water.

Last edited:
Sorry guys... I am sure you are correct in all you say.. but I am simply trying to understand the principle of this.. and not trying to cause any problems... Thanks anyways....

Last edited by a moderator:
You've only really got one choice and that is to split the flow from the boiler to the rads and a UFH manifold.

The UFH Manifold will have a mixing valve on which will mix the UFH temperature to 45 degrees which is suitable for inscreed systems.
Now it makes sense...! Nice one... Can the split be made anywhere in the system or must it be close to boiler?

Reply to run pipes for underfloor heating? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock