Search the forum,

Discuss Run new water line to fridge in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I just bought an older home and there is no water line run for the water/ice on my existing fridge. The closest water line is for the washing machine. Am I ok to run water from the cold supply (3/4 threads) over to the fridge? Any parts I would want to use that I'm unaware of or is it as cut and dry as it seems? In-line water filter (already a filter in the fridge)? Thanks for any help.

Is it not feasible to tee into the washing machine supply and run that to the fridge?

1. Provided the valve on the washing machine outlet works (and presumably it does if you have no machine connected) you COULD attach a line to the refrigerator from there. Note:
1a. If you wanted to also connect a washing machine, you could by using a "Y" fitting. If you do I'd strongly recommend a brass Y piece rather than plastic. Have a look at Brass Washing Machine Y Piece 2 Way Connector 3/4" BSP | Stevenson Plumbing & Electrical Supplies - https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/brass-y.html
1b. You would not need to isolate any pipework, except for using the valve on the washing machine connector.
2. The neater and more professional way to do it would be as Undertrained suggests. If your username reflects some DIY skills, you could insert a soldered or compression tee piece into the line leading to the washing machine connector, and pipe to the refrigerator from there. If you do this:
2a. You will need to be able to isolate the cold water supply to the washing machine valve. Almost certainly the main stopcock.
2b. You would be advised to fit a good quality (Pegler?) isolating valve in an accessible place in the line from the new tee to the refrigerator. It wouldn't need to be a full bore valve as there is no significant flow.
2c. Personally I'd pipe in 15mm copper as far as possible. You would presumably need some fitting to attach the refrigerator line. Whatever you use don't forget some pipe clips to keep it secure.
3. Whatever you do, do NOT use a self cutting tap. They can cause real problems.
4. If the line has sufficient pressure (well flow really) for a washing machine, it will manage a washing machine and refrigerator.

It is feasable in my my mind, I just didn't know if there would be issues with pressure or whatever.
My fridge water dispenser/ice maker is plumbed from the other side of the room with the usual small "quarter inch" approx 6mm plastic pipe, and there's no issue with flow etc.
Just as an example: American Fridge Freezer Water Filter Connection Plumbing Kit - https://www.finest-filters.co.uk/american-fridge-freezer-water-filter-connection-plumbing-kit/

You may already have the necessary parts provided with the appliance, or there may be a kit specifically made for it that you could purchase.

Reply to Run new water line to fridge in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock