Currently reading:
Rubbish day on Friday

Discuss Rubbish day on Friday in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Ok, I've been at this house for 4 days for what looked like quite a nice job. Replace 3-piece suite in bathroom. Replace basin and WC in cloakroom. Replace 2 radiators with pipework alterations. Plumb in electric shower. Only doing the plumbing, no making good required.

Day 1, Tuesday, suite arrives from supplier on time. One toilet is smashed in box, not even cracked but completely smashed at the bottom. Friday afternoon before I can get to plumbing that in.

Day 2, customer has supplied taps from Toolstation. Deva taps, apparently.

Customer has already tiled boxing basin in bathroom is to sit on. No batons inside boxing so nowhere to fit basin too.. 1 large amount of silicone later, that bit is done. Test basin tap. Hot flow fine, cold flow rubbish. Hmm, airlock I think to myself. Get the hose out, connect to garden tap, attempt to clear. No joy. 1/2 hr later it dawns that something must be wrong inside the tap. Open up cold side, cartridge filled with foam of some kind - original!

Next day, drain heating fully to replace rad downstairs and rad upstairs. Usual black water (my system has been well looked after, honestly).. Go to fill up system, no less than 3 radiators are air-locked. Great stuff.. 1 hour later, all radiators working again..

Friday afternoon, replacement WC arrives. Here's where it gets funny. Position the WC on the floor, mark fixing holes in floor. Drill holes.. Hmm, that's funny, hit something metal. Pull the drill out and see the telltale signs of copper. Oh yay...

Hear water ****ing out. Turn off stopcock, begin drilling holes in customers living room ceiling. Now what could be the most annoying pipe to have drilled through?? Oh yes, the CH flow/return pipework..

Drain CH system. Lift bathroom flooring (thank god it wasn't tiled). Finally get all the water out with a wetvac some 2 hours later. Solder a repair then refill, having to remove airlocks from the same 3 radiators again.

The custard of builder who built the house only ran the main flow and return pipes straight under where you would drill both fixing holes for the WC. Right underneath the floorboards too, not even in the middle of joists. Luckily the customer felt sorry for me when he saw it and was more hacked off with the original builder.

Anyone else had a week to top mine?

Can't cheer you up, had a top week. Started off Sunday evening, overdue cheque for 4,500 was dropped off (shame really, another 3 days at it would have been +5%), spent a few days finishing off a 2 day job that spread to 6 with extras, curtomer paid straight into bank account on Thursday (she was top customer as well, wanted job done and let her know how much after) and then on Friday phone call from nursing home where I'm doing wetroom can I redo the kitchen as well plus three other decent jobs to look at when back there next week. Plus, nearly forgot, at cricket on wednesday night bloke approached me to look after the plumbung for about a dozen alms houses on the estate.

I'm sure there's a bad one just around the corner though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rubbish day on Friday in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock