Search the forum,

Discuss Rothenberger SuperFire 2 - How to store safely in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I'm a novice so go easy ;-)

I have a Rothenberger SuperFire 2 torch and would like some advice as to how to safely remove the tip from the gas canister as it is advised to store them separately when not in use? The advice slip says when storing, turn the control knob to the ON position and press it multiple times
to expunge any gas - This seems just to prime gas ready for auto-ignition and if held down too long will light the torch. Please can someone describe how I can purge the gas from the tip so that when I unscrew it from the gas canister there is not a big pop as the gas escapes as this is quite scary and un-nerving, and probably dangerous! This happened to me first time I used it. I've just done another job but don't want to disconnect the tip from the MAPP canister until I know the procedure now.

Many thanks,
Duncan

Reactions: WC1
The amount of gas in the torch is so tiny ive never heard of this purging before and wouldn't worry about it. I sense a$$ covering by rothy. I always turn adjustment to zero and the black button to off before putting it away. Taking the bottle off every day will knacker the threads early.

I always disconnect mine, and have never had a problem with loss of gas. I never purge the gas and I like the popping noise. I always put a small amount of spit on the part of the nozzle that goes into the cylinder, to help it in. I knew someone that used to leave his connected and in the boot of his Mercedes-Benz, and it ignited itself and burnt out the electrics on the car.

I purged mine yesterday and disconnected the cylinder to try test it and got a small fizz of gas from the cylinder instead. At least you guys have reassured me this is normal and my torch isn’t defective or dangerous!

I remember first working on a meter and how scared I was about releasing gas from the test nipple, these days i like to make sure its well purged, its also when I'd have a smoke break!
(Joking!...🤥)

The purging is to purge gas from the torch head AFTER it's been removed from the gas bottle. I always remove mine as it fits in my box separately.
Hi Ric,

The instruction leaflet mentions the purging process before disconnecting the head. The first time I disconnected it I got a huge pop. Second time I purged it before disconnecting from the gas bottle and it was a lot less eventful!

Hi Ric,

The instruction leaflet mentions the purging process before disconnecting the head. The first time I disconnected it I got a huge pop. Second time I purged it before disconnecting from the gas bottle and it was a lot less eventful!
He's right! So it does. I've been doing it wrong since - forever! Oops...

Reply to Rothenberger SuperFire 2 - How to store safely in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock