Search the forum,

Discuss rothenberger ro frost in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdodds2004

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anybody give me a review on one of these.

been toying with the idea of getting one for ages and now local plumbase has them on offer im thinking of getting one

but wanted some real working reviews on it from people i trust lol

ta

I'm on the verge too.

I hired one a couple of weeks ago and was really impressed. Only one ive ever used. Froze 15mm and 22mm pipes with it and no problems.

Ive been toying with the idea of gettingone as well.

To give you my true feelings I would have to be in the arms but I found them rubbish unless you have the large bottle,still expensive even the small bottles are expensive compared to muff set up and cost per freeze is high ,also found you have to be very careful with them as plugs they form can be easily lost if problem with the bottle
I bought one years ago and used it a couple of times then went back to the muff set up you can get,think its in the shed somewhere collecting dust,would not give it to someone unless I had a grudge to settle

But other than that have no opinion really :rockstar:

It's been an incredible buy for me and I've frozen just about every kind of pipe you can think of with it and it's been ultra reliable. The gas is not expensive....about 20 quid for a refill and even cheaper off Ebay. Gas cylinder I use is a bit bigger than a fire extinguisher and I have a rental on mine, coz I get it from BOC but bottles from other suppliers are available without the rental fee. It's very simple to use, but MUST BE USED PROPERLY and IMO there is a wee bit of a learning curve with it first time out. Anyone got a Rofrost and having problems using it PM me and I'll tell you what I learned about how to use it correctly.

One big advantage over the electric freezers is that the Rofrost can be taken anywhere, into attics, under floors and any building that doesn't have a electricity supply. AS to transporting it, I've chained my bottle to a cheap trolley I got from B&Q. Please notify your insurance company though that you are transporting compressed gases, but we all do this anyways with our Surefire 2 bottles.

Absolutely terrific piece of kit. I use mine every day and I rarely drain down now, I prefer to freeze and stick an iso on the pipe. Doing this means no inconvenience for the customer.

Perfect for towel rads and radiatior changes. Just freeze the flow and return and away you go without having to drain down the system.

Not had an air lock for as long as I can remember in a gravity fed system as I'm no longer draining down, I use the Rofrost instead.

Puddle, mate send me yours, I'd love two kits! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the rothenberger kit, but the one for the cans, I seem to be using it more and more and getting better with every freeze. But am looking for something bigger/better.

I have the rothenberger kit, but the one for the cans, I seem to be using it more and more and getting better with every freeze. But am looking for something bigger/better.
See post above mate. I can feel me doing a Youtube vid on this.....

It sounds like the sort of thing I'll be looking at. Doing more and more live or frozen to do away with refill issues (airlocks) and cust convenience. Especially convenient moving a rad in a 15 bed nursing home whilst trying to keep all the old dears warm :)

It sounds like the sort of thing I'll be looking at. Doing more and more live or frozen to do away with refill issues (airlocks) and cust convenience. Especially convenient moving a rad in a 15 bed nursing home whilst trying to keep all the old dears warm :)
From time to time, we all do so called quick jobs that are not worth much money. Eliminate the variables and freeze the pipes you're working on and a wee half hour job won't take you half the day clearing airlocks.

system can you freeze the pipe and solder close to it for eg towel rails cause that would be mega handy, also you done a rad valve, i take it you just freeze the live side and do a fast one to change the valve as the rad will be full of water

Thanks steven

system can you freeze the pipe and solder close to it for eg towel rails cause that would be mega handy, also you done a rad valve, i take it you just freeze the live side and do a fast one to change the valve as the rad will be full of water

Thanks steven
I've soldered about 100mm away from the plug....just keep the gas on to keep the plug frozen. It's not recommended to solder that close though with any freezer. Rad valve changes are so easy when freezing. Freeze both pipes (kit has 2 freezing heads) undo one side of rad valve (put something down to catch water), plug rad and then do same on other side. Lift rad off with both pipes frozen and empty the water out of it. Simples!

So how long does it take to freezes pipe? 15 and 22mm, how heavy are the bottles? I can't find any info on them, nothing decent on YouTube either....

22mm pipe freezes in 3-5 minutes. Bottles are slightly heavier than a standard fire extinguisher and are standard CO2 bottles but MUST be liquid C02. I get mine from BOC as I have an account with them for my lead burning gear.

How do you know when it's frozen? Obviously you can't freeze flowing water? How about slightly flowing water?

water needs to be static to freeze. otherwise the bit you started off with will be down the plughole before the 3-5 mins is up

How do you know when it's frozen? Obviously you can't freeze flowing water? How about slightly flowing water?
Easy, after you feel that enough time has passed, just crack open the valve or tap slightly. No flow, means pipe is frozen.

As KayJay says, you can't freeze moving water (look at a fast flowing river for example in winter), but if the pipe is only dripping, I use 2 freezing heads spaced out and that usually freezes it.

I got one on system3's recommendation and it does the job really well. I am not using it as often as I thought I would do though. So think about how much you might need it before forking out for it and remember there is an ongoing cost of at least £100 a year of the contract with BOC. On balance I am glad I bought it and its reassuring to have it in the back of the van in case I need it.

i thought it was the electric freezing kit i was looking at in plumbbase? are the electric ones any good?

It was the electric one I used. I had a pipe frozen for over an hour. was impressed with that.
How many freezes or how long can the bottles last?

Upwards of a grand though for electric ones.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Im looking for some help with my rothenberger and wondered if anyone knows who guest123 is? I cant seem to find a way to pm hi?? cheers

This thread was opened 3 years ago simmy15

Guest123 doesn't doesn't use this forum anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to rothenberger ro frost in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock