Search the forum,

Discuss Rothenberger Eco pipe freezer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubar1000

Gas Engineer
Morning all

I've had my Rothenberger eco pipe freezer kit for about 1 year now, it was 2nd-hand when I got it but had only been used a couple of times.

All was fine when I first got it & I've used it about 30-ish times since. With no real problems.

But I needed to freeze 2 15mm central heating pipes the other day, it was on for about 4-5hr & would only going down as far as -10.

The pipe work was cold & hadn't had any heating for around 2 weeks

But it just wouldn't freeze.

I've tried a google search but that didn't come up with much tbh.

Anyone use the same machine?

Or got any dealings with the same machine?

Thanks people

Isn't there a water reservoir on those that needs filling?

I've got one of these.

If you pop the display section off there's a tank underneath with a large silver screw top.
Undo the screw and top up with premium anti freeze. You'll need a small funnel or you'll make a mess. Run it through a couple of cycles to bleed and top up as required. I have to do mine every 8 months or so.

Agree, rothy rep says water is fine to top up though a drop of glycol wouldn't hurt.

I find I need to give it a run with the leads out strait and slightly downhill to clear all the air.

Morning all

I've had my Rothenberger eco pipe freezer kit for about 1 year now, it was 2nd-hand when I got it but had only been used a couple of times.

All was fine when I first got it & I've used it about 30-ish times since. With no real problems.

But I needed to freeze 2 15mm central heating pipes the other day, it was on for about 4-5hr & would only going down as far as -10.

The pipe work was cold & hadn't had any heating for around 2 weeks

But it just wouldn't freeze.

I've tried a google search but that didn't come up with much tbh.

Anyone use the same machine?

Or got any dealings with the same machine?

Thanks people

Sure there wasn't anti-freeze in the system ie heat pump.

Thanks for the replies lads

Yes it is the one with the small tank under the display, but wasn't sure what to top it up with lol

I going to try & get the reps number & ask if I can buy a bottle of the stuff Rothenberger use

I'll keep everyone updated as I go

Cheers lads

Are these kits really worth it? Started to buy tools etc and they look interesting but vary on reviews

Are these kits really worth it? Started to buy tools etc and they look interesting but vary on reviews

Unless you use them regularly, its probably cheaper to hire a heavier duty unit when you need one, and add the price to the job. Once you are more established you can look back at how often you hire one, and work out whether its worth buying one.

Morning all

Phoned the Rothenberger rep in the week & had a quick chat about the above problem.

He was saying that the green gel Rothenberger use just needs topping up with water every now & then.

Start with putting the unit on a table, with the clamps running down hill, remove the display, remove the silver plug & switch the unit on (no need to select freeze mode).

Let it run for 5min, then start topping up with water, until it's full & you can't hear/see any air coming out.

I done this yesterday, in the garden & the display went from 24-ish down to -21 in no time at all.

He did say it depends how you store & use the unit to how many times you will need to do this, I've had the unit about 1 year-ish, using it many times & this is the first time I've had to top it up.

Thanks for the advice everone

I used one last week changing TRVs on screwed iron at Murrayfield, took ages to get down to temp, turned out to be air which needed cleared as Roger Welton said previously.

very convenient to have on the van though instead of hiring one especially armed with this info . mine done the very same 2 days on chrome pipe i did top it up but i didnt vent it , by this time i drained down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rothenberger Eco pipe freezer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock