Search the forum,

Discuss Rofrost turbo reducer / insert external dimensions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newcastle phill

Hi all
Just managed to get a rothenberger rofrost turbo pipe freeze.
Went with the advise after considering bottled Co2 (thanks corbsy)
It was virtually for free - partly because it has no inserts
So im going to machine some and have some large round alloy bar here.

Can anyone measure the external dimensions (diameter) accurately.
Or even better posts me one to copy.
I will pay all postage charges.
And in return - if you are missing a size - i will get one machined for you too.

I have measured the freezer heads with a micrometer and could do it from that.
But ideally would like one to see what sort of clearance is netween the 2 mating surfaces.

But i would be happy with accurate measurements in any event and turn it down exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh shaun - 56 quid each ouch. Probably why the guy virtually gave it away.
Freezes mint tho.

Oh yeh i can machine them no problem, but being a fanny i want to make them identical.
If i cant get tge dimensions ill simply go a few thou under and take the miniscule slack up with thermal paste

Oh yeh i can machine them no problem, but being a fanny i want to make them identical.
If i cant get tge dimensions ill simply go a few thou under and take the miniscule slack up with thermal paste

thermal paste :D :D no need mate

and go and spend sunday in the shed tinkering and dont come out until you have made some ;)

Toothpaste
Ill use extra minty just so it feels cooler again [emoji41]

I make my own. The outside diameter is 42mm, the internal is the pipe diameter (15mm, 22mm, 28mm etc). There are basically two ways of doing it:

a. Turn down outside diameter to 42mm, drill / bore internal diameter to required size (ream if possible). Cut in "half" lengthways to leave one 21mm high with the flat face downwards. Other part is waste.

b. Drill / bore centre to 10mm. Use a slitting saw in a mill and cut exactly in half lengthways. Super glue both halves together. With a four jaw chuck, drill / bore ream inside diameter, turn outside diameter. Split halves, minimum waste.

Not as simple as it sounds, but the costs of aluminium bar to make a full set by method B is less than the purchase cost of a single pair.

Or even better posts me one to copy.
I will pay all postage charges.
And in return - if you are missing a size - i will get one machined for you too.

I'm happy to post you one of each size (if you need them all?)

I'm missing 1 x 15mm one. I'll happily pay postage up to you, you pay postage back to me. Sound fair?

Hallooo.
No i dont need them all.
One half of one size would do and I will mike it and from there can make any size.

cce7a3a906e8bf52b32d12f443a45649.jpg

Job done
Made 10 12 15 22 28 35mm

look good only prob there too shiny get to work :D

Blimey, nice work.

You should make them & eBay them. As Shaun said £56.

How much to make with time & materials?

You could have a nice little earner maybe.

[emoji106]

I have Herbert 8 but it's Easy when you have the tools

Well over the moon with it. Works like a treat..
Installed a boiler today and used it spot on.

:) good to hear how long did you leave it to freeze?

Well crappin my pants haha.
On 22mm 15 to 20 mins. Was well frozen on the clamps and 50mm either side frosty as Mr frosty the snowman !!!

Froze the FnR and whipped old boiler off then stuck the flush straight on without draining down. Cleaned the system and added inhibitor through flush.
Froze again and added new FnR runs across room.
Minimal system bleeding needed and not a drop of water anywhere.

Well crappin my pants haha.
On 22mm 15 to 20 mins. Was well frozen on the clamps and 50mm either side frosty as Mr frosty the snowman !!!

Froze the FnR and whipped old boiler off then stuck the flush straight on without draining down. Cleaned the system and added inhibitor through flush.
Froze again and added new FnR runs across room.
Minimal system bleeding needed and not a drop of water anywhere.

good lad :D its always the same you think as your slicing through f has it froze all the way :D

Thanks for your help in making me decide to go electric shaun

not a problem glad to help

remember if you ever freeze iron pipe leave it half again longer as will need more time

not a problem glad to help

remember if you ever freeze iron pipe leave it half again longer as will need more time

Had a new plumber join the firm and he had to tee in to a 1.5" galv hot supply, for a new cleaner sink. School wanted freeze as old system runs like orange soup for days after refilling once drained. Froze pipe with 2 freeze machines, cut pipe and he went and sat in van and had lunch.. Wtf! Obviously lost the ice plugand came back to one all mighty leak (cold tanks on roof of 5 storey block) had to drain down, there's your soup. Flooded various classrooms, new carpets text books etc nightmare
Think he learned a lesson that day never cut a frozen pipe and leave unattended. Valve off or get the job done

Had a new plumber join the firm and he had to tee in to a 1.5" galv hot supply, for a new cleaner sink. School wanted freeze as old system runs like orange soup for days after refilling once drained. Froze pipe with 2 freeze machines, cut pipe and he went and sat in van and had lunch.. Wtf! Obviously lost the ice plugand came back to one all mighty leak (cold tanks on roof of 5 storey block) had to drain down, there's your soup. Flooded various classrooms, new carpets text books etc nightmare
Think he learned a lesson that day never cut a frozen pipe and leave unattended. Valve off or get the job done

:D did he turn the secondary pumps off as seen that before (domestic plumber) went to a call out in a school he had to t into the line was inch so turned all the Andrews off and put freeze cans on and started to freeze 5 mins later it was frozen opened tap further down the line to confirm,

All good there so he starts cutting his piece out first cut ok second cut ok, poped the piece out and then heard a grumble, thinks nothing of it 30 seconds later the ice plug comes shooting out the cut end of the pipe and landed on a Window and cracked it, and hot water starts coming out like a fountain :D so what does he do crushes the end of the pipe and legs it,

To be never heard of again

So moral of the story domestic plumbers, don't try and do commercial plumbing unattended ;)

Personally i woundt have bothered to crush the pipe. But I would have been found easily enough by the trail of crap pouring out my R'send

All was isolated by the other plumbers changing all the iron trvs on the cast rads all over school. I was an apprentice then and working on trv's. Remember coming down the hall to see a waterfall. When the pipes cut open ambient tempreature comes in to play (summer holidays). I don't like freezing. Had a firm come in to do a liquid nitrogen freeze at a job once. Welder missed a big gap round the back of a 5" flange and 'pee'd' out. Nitrogen still froze it again under flow really impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rofrost turbo reducer / insert external dimensions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hi all, Managed to pick up a Rofrost Turbo and only one of the connectors seems to freeze. Was thinking maybe the unit needs a regas. Anyone know who can regas it in the London area? Iv tried a Google search but all I seem to find is fridge/freezer refrigeration 'engineers'. TIA
Replies
Views
Cmaza123
C
M
Hi i have a rothenberger rofrost gas pipe freezer , freezes 10mm to 60mm retail over £300 + VAT make an offer Cheer`s
Replies
Views
Bob Ainscough
B
G
I'm looking to buy a pipe freezing kit but I'm not sure what one is the best, most reliable and works quickly. I've looked at a few and can't decide between the Rofrost Turbo 1 or Freezemaster 420D. The Rothenberger looks a more substantial piece of kit, but the Freezemaster has excellent build...
Replies
Views
Dickie
D
I bought a Rothenberger electronic pipe freezer. Used it without problems 25 or so times. Then on a job it wouldn't freeze. Took home, tested, not working. By this point, owned it about 4 or 5 months. My friend had bought one a month or two ago and it didn't work from the off, he returned it for...
Replies
Views
Rainbow74
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock