Search the forum,

Discuss Riello RDB cutting out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

i have a grant vortex utility oil boiler and have intermittent cut outs. So far have changed solenoid, fuel pump, capacitor and stem with no luck. Problem persists.

It’s as if it’s a heat related thing because if you leave the boiler for a while to cool and try again it fires straight away.

I’m now lost!

Who changed the oil pump?
Plumber did. And it worked fine for a couple of hours before cutting off again. Then he said wait an hour or so and try it again. Fired straight away, ran for a bit and cut off again. This continued until we changed the solenoid again for the third time today and worked for a bit and now the same issue. No oil being forced out of the pump itself. Tested the coil with a screwdriver and hardly any magnetism in it at all. Tested at 106ohm though

How about oil filters on oil supply?
If the plumber isn’t really an experienced oil service bloke, then you are better getting someone who is.
To be as helpful as possible to you, I would suggest the combustion needs set and the oil flow from tank to burner is verified as continuous.
After that it will cost you too much to replace major parts.

Plumber is very experienced with oil burners so no issues with that. Flow from tank is continuous. Checked it to be sure there wasn’t some kind of blockage. When removing the feed pipe between the pump and the nozzle nothing comes out suggesting either the new pump has failed after 2 days which I find hard to believe or the control box not energising the coil properly?

The oil guy should really be able to sort it. If he regularily works on oil, he will have the parts for that burner including a new control box and photocell.
Surprised he hasn’t already changed the control box.
The solenoids would be a rare fault and I wouldn’t be replacing them for a second time

That’s what he was suggesting next. Was trying the cheaper options first. Thanks for your assistance.

Let us know how you get on with it.
Only throwing money at it, even with the cheaper parts.
I would remove the new control box if it proved not to be the culprit.

I don’t know. I’ll have to ask him when he comes round today. But surely that isn’t going to have an effect on the pump even expelling oil towards the nozzle?

Changing the control box would appear to have fixed the problem but I’d like to chuck a couple things in. As said above the white motor wire returns roughly 50v ac to control box, this is used to power the rest. You say you felt little magnetism when using the screwdriver trick on coil. I use a electromagnetic field tester or solenoid tester if you will to check it’s function, remember these Riello domestic burners supply low voltage dc to coil which is why they use the metal bracket around coil to improve the magnetic strength, just bare that in mind in future as it’s not unheard of for custards to fiddle and it may have been misplaced, although they’re usually solid. The RDB coils are virtually bomb proof, you may need to change one from time to time but probably never two or three lol. Also when checking fuel to nozzle I would disconnect cell from control box, remover ht leads from electrodes and remove blast tube and aim burner into collar when proving atomisation of fuel at nozzle. As said above someone who works on oil regularly should have plenty of van stock to fix these things first visit.
Anyway glad it’s fixed

I suppose I was just being lazy, bought lots from them, thanks for the heads up.

And actually nearly £17.00 cheaper.

Last edited:

Reply to Riello RDB cutting out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock