Search the forum,

Discuss Riello RDB Burner Photocell Sooting Up in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Riello RDB Burner housed within a Grant Outdoor module 70/90. During the last 2 months the boiler has stopped firing up at about 3 week intervals and I have had to clean the photocell in order to rectify the problem. I had the boiler serviced last summer.

If you're having to clean photocell due to sooting up frequently then obviously it's not burning cleanly. What did the service engineer do? Did he replace nozzle? Did he adjust pump pressure? Did he even use a smoke pump and flue gas analyser? It could be a number of things he did or didn't do, plus other problems that have arrived since

If you're having to clean photocell due to sooting up frequently then obviously it's not burning cleanly. What did the service engineer do? Did he replace nozzle? Did he adjust pump pressure? Did he even use a smoke pump and flue gas analyser? It could be a number of things he did or didn't do, plus other problems that have arrived since
he possibly did all those things last summer that is approx 7 months ago or longer so something may have happened since then

he possibly did all those things last summer that is approx 7 months ago or longer so something may have happened since then

We don't know how competent the engineer was though do we. You have to be qualified to touch gas but anyone can touch an oil boiler so we don't know what the engineer did or didn't do. It could as we both said be a recent problem, which could be a number of things.
What ever issue this requires someone who knows what they're doing with the right equipment.

Thank you for this detailed and helpful response. I can now approach the engineer with some better informed questions.

Thank you for this detailed and helpful response. I can now approach the engineer with some better informed questions.

You need to call back your engineer and get him to service it and go over it again. It could be as simple as a worn nozzle or dirty fan impeller causing sooting up over time. The sooting up could also be caused by a number of problems, I'm not going to rattle them all off, if he knows what hes doing then he should find the fault, its basic combustion laws to be honest.

If its sooting at the photocall it could be an indication of struggling to get flue gases away.

Time to get the pro back. Sooner rather than later.

Reply to Riello RDB Burner Photocell Sooting Up in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Hi, We had our annual oil burner service carried out by a well known Norfolk firm last Thursday and all was great for a day. Came home from work on Friday evening to find our 15+ year old HRM Wallstar burner had locked out. I pressed the lockout button only to find it would lockout 1 to 2 mins...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, all new to this breakdown life, currently waiting on getting on a training course, so just been relying on technical and instructions since I passed my oftec. The current boiler is a two pipe line off a tiger loop. I went to a Grant vortex boiler last week where the boiler went into...
Replies
Views
CJAY40
C
Hello alll, I have a firebird combi oil burner with the riello burner rdb in. It was working perfect up untill yesterday where it's going straight into instant lockout and won't do anything. Not fuel related because I can see it squiring out. Any guesses to what it could be ? Thank you
Replies
Views
I have a Grant Vortex Blue 26kw external oil boiler, installed less than 12 months ago. It's had intermittent non-starting problems resulting in multiple warranty visits, part replacements and eventually burner replacement. The replaced burner I discovered was a 'yellow flame' one, apparently...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock